small vehicles that can transport drums

Spiney

I'm looking to buy a used car. I have a Ludwig Fab-4 four piece kit along with a trap bag and a cymbal bag to transport. I currently use my wife's Volvo wagon when I go to a gig. I have a Ford Ranger pickup but no cap, so that doesn't work. Money dictates a used vehicle. For gas mileage and just for fun driving I'd like something small, but able to transport the kit. The biggest, heaviest piece is the trap bag, followed by the Bass Drum and Floor tom. So I'm curious to hear what you have that works for you. If money wasn't an issue I like the Cubes, the Scion X-box and similar designs along with the Chevy HHR (?) looks like an old style panel truck. But I'm not sure I can swing that. I knew a guy used to haul his kit in a Honda Civic, not sure how he did it, but he did. I'd like to have a little more wiggle room than that. I like the Plymouth Coupes can't remember the correct name, the ones that look like and old roadster but my mechanic tells me they are very un-reliable. So I look forward to hearing what works for you. Thanks, Spiney-Dave

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I used to haul a six piece kit in a 95 Nissan 240sx. I had to remove the passenger seat and replace it with my kick. I had another vehicle but I still liked the 240 too much to not drive it. But, the more I modified the car with performance parts the less I wanted to take it out to gigs. Still have it although I picked up a Mazda5 to move all of my gear and then some around. Check out the first gen Xb; they can be had for a very good price.

Evilbagua

Silver Member
I'd get a camper for the truck. You can lock it, and ford ranger campers on CL can be had for 150ish $ (I'm assuming you in the states). You can always install it with clamps to remove it rather easily as well. Unless the truck's got a custom paint job bet you find the same color too. I had a 2004 mazda v4 b2300 which is a mazda badged ranger (RIP!) and it fit a half stack and 26-14-14-18 sized cased kit w/ hardware bag/cymbal vault in the camper just fine. If your in AZ I got a green mazda camper with carpet off my totaled truck that will fit lol. Unless you really need another car or haul giant pieces of wood constantly, the ranger isn't that bad on gas compared to bigger stuff. Camper all the way man.

Or be like me and buy a v8 dodge 1500 conversion van that needs an engine rebuild 3 months after I picked it up used :(!!!!! (atleast it was super cheap, and came with a working VCR lol)

braincramp

Gold Member
I have a hyundia tuscon that gets great gas milage and fits my 7 pc set with no problem..since converting from all stands to a rack though I put the rack fully dressed and folded in my bassist pick up..it makes it easy to unfold mount the drums and cymbals and go..

motleyh

I used to have a little Mazda Protege 5 wagon that held almost as much gear as the Pathfinder SUV it had replaced. No problem for a 7-piece kit including mics, mixing board and spare parts case. If the passenger seat was vacant, add a monitor. 30 mpg in the city, too.

Boomka

Platinum Member
I drive a Honda Jazz, which is known as a Fit in North America. They've ingeniously designed the fuel tank to be long, wide and flat so that when the rear seats are down you've got nearly 4' of vertical space and more length than you can shake a stick at for a "small car". Add in Honda's notorious reliability (touches wood) and it's a perfect gigging car. I can pack in a trap case, 5 piece kit and all accessories, suitcase, etc. and still have a clear view out all rear windows. I have some pictures around with three non-pedal timpani in the back plus other stuff. It's the best gigging car I've ever owned. I currently do a lot of travelling to work around the UK along with my gear and it's fantastic. Not the best mileage in its class, but hey, you can't have everything.

Best Hatchback for the Money two years running: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/best-cars-for-the-money/

Travis22

I use to have a 4 door Olds Alero that I was able to fit my entire 7 piece kit, hardware/rack, cymbals, heads, rug, AND one passenger in. Great gas mileage, cheap insurance, and REALLY affordable. Now I have a Dodge Caliber which is even easier to get stuff in...and more off it! I would think with a 4 piece kit anything would work. One of my first cars was a '66 Mustang that I could fit my 5 piece in with all the fixings as well. Have you ever played Tetris? I'm the master!! :)

Muckster

Platinum Member
I have a Scion XA and can fit my seven piece kit, hardware and cymbals in it with no problem and can still have a passenger ride shotgun. And at 37mpg it's a blessing!

Zickos

Gold Member
I have gotten a 5 pc kit in an '82 Nissan 280zx before. Just depends on what you take and how you pack it.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
The kit will definitely fit in a Focus wagon.
I had one (just got smashed, yes, I am bitter about it).
The Focus got great gas mileage for me, and holds a lot of stuff.

The HHR is kinda cool, but after sitting in one, I'm not so sure how much it can actually hold. It felt like a tomb too.

I just got a Kia Soul, and it's cool, good mileage, fun to drive, and has well enough room to hold your Fab 4 kit easily (with hardware).
If I didn't use my cases I could get a 5 piece of my kit in it (26,13,16,18, snare) with some stands.

Haven't tried, just got it yesterday.

Good price, but there are used one's available.

Our mechanic said a bunch of lease vehicles have come in with 50-60,000 on them for inspection, and they can't find anything wrong with them, which was great to hear.

otherwise, why not get a cap for the truck? That would be your least expensive option.
But, if you're looking for a car, the Kia Soul is cool, and the Focus wagon is cool.

Good luck!

newdayscenario

I drive a Honda Fit and am able to fit my 4 piece setup, large hardware case, and cymbal bag in it with no problem at all. I used to have the hardest time even fitting like 80% of my stuff in my old car and this has been such a pleasant change. I'm pretty sure you can get a decent deal on a used one but they might be a little pricey still. I get around 32 mpg though if that's any incentive.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I have gotten a 5 pc kit in an '82 Nissan 280zx before. Just depends on what you take and how you pack it.
Do you still have your 280? I would love to see it. Packing skill is essential. One of my old band mates told me if I ever stopped playing I should get a job for FedEx packing their jets. Although he would say "airpains" because this was usually at the end of the gig and he was smashed.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
A camper top on a truck makes it VERY hard to see out the back. I had one, got rid of it, and replaced it with a bed cover.

We also have a Nissan Versa hatchback. My drums, hardware case, and cymbals easily fit. Peace and goodwill.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I have a PT Cruiser and it swallows an amazing amount of gear, including a six-piece set packed in Hardcases and an entire PA system. They are cheap, reliable and easy to find, although not the best on gas.

S

sticks4drums

Can't beat a mini van for loading, unloading, and moving lots of stuff. Lots of cheap used ones kicking around.

wsabol

Gold Member
I fit my 22x14, 12x10, 16x16, 14x5, all my hardware and cymbals in my Toyota Corolla.

.. with room for two passengers

Chonson

I drive a Honda Fit and am able to fit my 4 piece setup, large hardware case, and cymbal bag in it with no problem at all. I used to have the hardest time even fitting like 80% of my stuff in my old car and this has been such a pleasant change. I'm pretty sure you can get a decent deal on a used one but they might be a little pricey still. I get around 32 mpg though if that's any incentive.

+1. 28" 14" 16" 18"? No problem.
4-piece + mics and recording gear and hardware? Easy.

Best car I've ever owned. Low maintenance, easy going.