Small room Advice: 6.5 x 14 Black Beauty or 5x14 Supra?

Craig J

I just don't get the question. They're both great snares.....in large venues or small venues. One only sounds better than the other if you think it does. Natural dynamics of the individual drum have been eliminated by a mic and PA anyway. So use the one you wanna hear.
yeah i know it's a weird question. just wanted to get some opinions, and thank you all for the contributions! i think i'll just try both and see which one the band/sound guy likes more.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I just don't get the question. They're both great snares.....in large venues or small venues. One only sounds better than the other if you think it does. Natural dynamics of the individual drum have been eliminated by a mic and PA anyway. So use the one you wanna hear.

markdrum

Silver Member
Just take them both to the venue and experiment a little. If you're playing classic rock I would think the the BB would be a better fit except in cases where you're doing King Crimson or Yes. Bill Bruford has always used a tight sounding snare if I remember correctly. Just match the snare to the music and let the sound man work out the details. You've got two of the best snares to choose from. Both John Bonham and Ian Paice used 6.5" snares as did Cozy Powell. You're a good enough drummer to make either one work. Good luck with it!

Craig J

i also didn't ask which would be quieter...not concerned about my playing volume. more concerned about which drum you guys think would sound better mic'd in a small room.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
playing a very small room and the kit will be mic'd. not sure which snare would be best to use...we play classic rock. i usually don't muffle either drum. i know its kind of a ridiculous question, but looking for any opinions/recos.
Usually I use what I own and play the room. If you're miked up by somebody else that mean I can work even less. But how small is small?

shemp

Silver Member
There is no rule that says you have to hit as hard in a small room vs a big room. Play for the room. Are you going to get two mics on the snare or one? If you only get one mic: ie on snare batter, I would choose the drum that has the crisper, brighter sound since the top mic gives body and attack ...the bottom mic is what pulls the crispness and snare sound out.

If you want to have fun with the soundman, tell him to please use two mics on snare and be sure to reverse the phase....

Taye-Dyed

One thing to consider: While it is true that the 6.5" BB is louder at the peak volume level, it can provide more dynamic range and probably sound better when played softer. When I have a low volume gig, I use a bigger snare because it gives me more control over the dynamic range. Then again I am not sure if there is a huge difference in volume or dynamic level between your two snares. You will be probably fine with either.

longgun

Gold Member
Mic'd? Don't think it will make a difference in volume

Without mics, my 6.5 BB is probably around 20% louder than my 5" supra....................just my opinion, not scientifically measured by any means, but it is significantly louder

For reduced volume, I'd go with the Supra

wsabol

Gold Member
I'm sorry but this just doesn't make sense to me. You're playing a small room, worried about volume, but you're micing your kit? I really think you and your band mates need to sit down and reconsider you equipment options and choose equipment that is suitable for the room and job. Just my opinion. John
I agree miking really shouldn't be necessary in a small room. but it may be the venue's sound guy that is specifying the miking - obviously not for volume but just to control the balance. When it comes down to it it you may only get a mic on the bass drum; no snare mic or overheads.

I'd go with the shallower drum as well.

john gerrard

I'm sorry but this just doesn't make sense to me. You're playing a small room, worried about volume, but you're micing your kit? I really think you and your band mates need to sit down and reconsider you equipment options and choose equipment that is suitable for the room and job. Just my opinion. John

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Try the aluminum if you're worried the bigger brass drum will be too loud.

I haven't got an aluminum drum yet but I understand its dryer, more mellow.

Craig J

playing a very small room and the kit will be mic'd. not sure which snare would be best to use...we play classic rock. i usually don't muffle either drum. i know its kind of a ridiculous question, but looking for any opinions/recos.