Small kit configuration.

kuren84

Hi all just thought I'd share a pic of the small kit configuration i have been using recently. The bass drum is a Pearl Forum cut down depth and has stock reso and evans emad batter. Mapex meridian maple snare and Sabian 14" AAX hats, HHX 16" Crash and Dream 22" Bliss ride. Starting to add in some electronics with the Alesis sample pad 4 with additional pad for claps and shakers etc. and a jam block because, why not. So surprised of how nice and deep the kick sounds for the depth of it.

small kit config.JPG

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Lookin good.
I will say (maybe its my OCD), the "slightly off" Pearl emblem would drive me crazy though. ;)

T.
That's hilarious-I remember a thread of a similar vein. During that time I remember looking at my Sonor Safari with the Reso Head "SONOR" sideways. It hadn't bothered me in the least till I read the thread. Initially I ignored it but finally lamented and straightened the logo. Curse you for pointing it out LOL.

kuren84

OK all i will sort out the logo relax. First proper outing this Saturday so hope it all goes well. I don't think i am even going to try to put it in a case and just take it as it and cut down on set up time.

newoldie

Silver Member
What was the original size of the bass drum; did you cut it down for a smaller kit b/c you are gigging lower volume now?
Love the cymbal mix!

kuren84

Original size I believe was 22 x 20 not sure of the exact depth now but it is under half that more likely a quarter of it. I was using a cajon for the kick for smaller venues and the duo I am in but never really liked the sound of it. So thought I would try this with a bass drum I was given. Surprisingly it doesn't cut sound as much as I thought it would but is lower volume than standard kick. It sounds really nice and a vast improvement to the cajon. When playing bigger venues I can still mic it as well. Thanks for the comments on the cymbals. I'm loving the sound in getting at the moment. I also have an 18“ hhx ozone which I use to.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Cutting down depth like that should add a lot of punch. I bet you can get a nice low volume punch with it after experimenting-try fluffy beater, felt strips, etc. Did you cut it down and do bearing edges?

newoldie

Silver Member
Original size I believe was 22 x 20 not sure of the exact depth now but it is under half that more likely a quarter of it. I was using a cajon for the kick for smaller venues and the duo I am in but never really liked the sound of it. So thought I would try this with a bass drum I was given. Surprisingly it doesn't cut sound as much as I thought it would but is lower volume than standard kick. It sounds really nice and a vast improvement to the cajon. When playing bigger venues I can still mic it as well. Thanks for the comments on the cymbals. I'm loving the sound in getting at the moment. I also have an 18“ hhx ozone which I use to.
I also have an 18 HHX Ozone, which is used for many of my gigs. One of the "essential" cymbals in my kit!

kuren84

I (if I'm honest) did pretty much nothing to the bearing edge as I do not have a router. I just sanded them off after the cut. The cut edge is on the batter side. I'm really not in the know as to how much difference it would make.

roncadillac

Love this set up! I drive a Tama club jam mini 18" bass 12" snare with a Zildjian 18" uptown ride and Zil bell with my band, yup no hats or toms. I do occasionally add hats for some other side stuff but they are a 16" Zildjian fx stack so it's not a traditional hi hat sound by any means.