SJC Custom Kit

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Right now, there are several SJC kits on Reverb.com for about half that.

Shiny new badges are not worth it IMO.

So many amazing drums to be had at that price at the price point.

Matty1977

Just curious, why SJC...? I've noticed over the last decade with the smaller "custom" builders...its all trend based. SJC now is positioned like Spaun ,Truth, and OCDP were in years past. Young fans of bands/drummers on the Vans Warped tour immediately gravitate toward these brands(or whatever is hip at the time).
Agree with this 100%. I would imagine Jay Weinberg's endorsement (along with Tre Cool possibly) has had as big impact upon the brand's exposure. JW likely had his pick of the major companies when he landed the Slipknot gig but has decided to stick with SJC. Fair play to him for this. From SJC's perspective his endorsement has probably given their product more exposure than the rest of their endorsees combined.

Agree with all the other comments. $4,500 buys a lot of drums from the major manufacturers with change left over for some nice cymbals.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Agree with this 100%. I would imagine Jay Weinberg's endorsement (along with Tre Cool possibly) has had as big impact upon the brand's exposure.
FWIW, Tre's drums sound really good - I played them at NAMM a few years ago. Far from the stock SJC sound. I even remarked to Mike (Ciprari) that they were the first really good sounding SJCs I'd ever encountered (and he sheepishly agreed.) They're Keller vintage/Slingerland type shells, and a unique line for SJC as far as I know. The vast majority of their drums are NOT that.

As for the Slipknot drum sound... haha, Slipknot drum sound. I made a funny!

Seriously, ANY drum brand must be heard and preferably played in person before ordering them! You cannot rely on recordings or recommendations alone. A kit is a large investment. It's not like trying a $15 drum head on someone's say-so, where that amount of money isn't a big deal.

I realize that it's not likely the OP would encounter an SJC kit in person. Therefore, it's a real risk as to whether an ordered kit will be satisfying. And if you don't like the drums, do you think SJC will take them back?

I'm not down on SJC necessarily, I'm just saying if you can't hear the drums before buying, then you shouldn't buy. That's just being a smart consumer who wants to avoid regretting an expensive purchase.

And as I said, that applies to any and every brand, big or small.

Bermuda

Last edited:

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
Right now, there are several SJC kits on Reverb.com for about half that.

Shiny new badges are not worth it IMO.

So many amazing drums to be had at that price at the price point.
+1, I think usually when I see SJC drums on the used market they are usually close to $1,500 and a lot of times still have trouble selling. I remember seeing a 3 piece for like $1,000 one time.

STXBob

Gold Member
You could get that kit made by Mapex in their MyDentity line with birch shells for probably $1500-1800. Maybe less, I don't know. It would have to be a black to gunmetal sparkle fade, not the white/black striped version, but the hardware can stay black and look pretty much the same.
This. ^^^

No question about it. You're paying for the look you want. The SJC price is too much.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
This. ^^^

No question about it. You're paying for the look you want. The SJC price is too much.
The worst part of it.... you'd spend $4k and everyone will be thinking your playing a Gretsch Catalina Mod kit, and not know it is really a $4k+ kit.

Stixnergard2

Don't do it, I went with a custom Spaun double bass kit a few years back in a neutral WMP wrap and I can't sell it unless I give it away.

Macdeezy

Thanks for all of the info guys! I never was going to shell out $4k for a SJC custom kit unless I had millions laying around. I'm seeing about employee pricing on a DW Collector's Series, at least they hold their resale value. It will be awhile before I go buying a custom kit as I am happy with my Mapex Mars Crossover kit right now... for the price they made some pretty sweet sounding birch shells, Mapex has come a long way with their hardware/shells.

incrementalg

Gold Member
Thanks for all of the info guys! I never was going to shell out $4k for a SJC custom kit unless I had millions laying around. I'm seeing about employee pricing on a DW Collector's Series, at least they hold their resale value. It will be awhile before I go buying a custom kit as I am happy with my Mapex Mars Crossover kit right now... for the price they made some pretty sweet sounding birch shells, Mapex has come a long way with their hardware/shells.
If GC gives a break for employees on used gear, you should check out the used Collectors sets that GC has around the country.