Sitting bowlegged

belairien

Silver Member
Every now and then, when sitting at the kit, I will notice that no matter the height at which is sit, or how far apart I put my kick pedals and hihat, I always have from my knees down bowing inwards, often times with my heels hanging off the inside of the pedals.
It's odd, because when sitting in a chair or couch, I always sit with my legs out wide and my feet pointing opposite directions like this, only without the bow.

Is there any negative effect from this? Because it's comfortable for me. And adjusting my pedals to match is uncomfortable and pushes things too far out.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Your knees are inward, and your heels stick out on the inside of the pedals?
I just tried the and it hurt. Knees out, heels inside makes sense. anyway, I would start from scratch. sit on your throne, put your feet down and put your pedals under your feet. Build your kit around that. It won't hurt.

belairien

Silver Member
Bow legged is knees out. Not in. But every time I start from scratch I end up that way. I just worded it wrong. Basically making a diamond shape. Heels making the bottom point and knees the widest.

belairien

Silver Member
Are you sitting high enough to get your legs under you?? How tall are you??
I'm 5'9" and I've gone from low enough for my legs to be at 90 degrees up to the point of just my toes reaching. I typically sit a little over half way between those.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Like so. My feet sit well within the span of my knees.
And the reason I ask if it can cause issues is because in have hip and knee problems already from injuries.

This is the most relaxed position to ply in, it unlocks your thighs at the hip(s).

I've gone thru periods of extremes with this- having the center of the stool in line with the BD pedal.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
That looks OK to me. Can you spread your slave pedal and hit to the left just s little. Your feet have to be where you're pedal are. I am 5' 8" and the difference between my bass drum pedal and my hihat is 18 inches.
That is from the back/center of each pedal. If that is a 14 inch snare your pedal are 14 inches apart. Also in the picture without the snare I can see you need to push the slave and the hiatus away from you some. Line them up with the tile marks on the floor. Here is a photo of my feet. No slave pedal

Attachments

Last edited:

belairien

Silver Member
Usually I am centered, but I didn't take the time to adjust the throne before the picture. That and the pedal slides on the tile floor. I set up for a quick practice and forgot my rug. The close proximity to the snare also works for me because I am extremely skinny. As is, my knees clear the snare without strain.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
OK I think our posts crossed. Look at my picture at 5'8" and spread your pedals some. Put your rug down, get things set but other than that above I am out of suggestions.

belairien

Silver Member
I will give it a shot. But if it's as relaxed as les Ismore stated, than at least it won't cause health issues.

The journey of a drummer never ends!

I think the only time my legs didn't bow inwards through the years was when I had my pedal distance maxed out sitting at almost 90 degrees to each other, but that had kept everything spread wide.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
You are the only one that can determine if it's relaxed. No one can tell by looking at a photo

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
I will give it a shot. But if it's as relaxed as les Ismore stated, than at least it won't cause health issues.

The journey of a drummer never ends!

I think the only time my legs didn't bow inwards through the years was when I had my pedal distance maxed out sitting at almost 90 degrees to each other, but that had kept everything spread wide.
To keep your calf straight up and down 90 degrees with the floor requires muscles in your leg to be tightened, its not a relaxed position, when you open your knees these muscles relax., the higher up you sit on your throne the less opening of the knees.

belairien

Silver Member
To keep your calf straight up and down 90 degrees with the floor requires muscles in your leg to be tightened, its not a relaxed position, when you open your knees these muscles relax., the higher up you sit on your throne the less opening of the knees.
Right now, I pushed my pedals a little further apart, raised my throne an inch and threw one of my 13 inch snares in. Still have the bow going on but it's still comfortable.
As long as it doesn't cause any pain I'm happy.
The reason I brought it up was because I frequently have knee and hip pain. Though I believe it's from the years of skating when on was younger.

Frosticles

Silver Member
To me it looks like your pedals are set too closely & your knees are bowing outwards so not to catch on the snare. ??

belairien

Silver Member
To me it looks like your pedals are set too closely & your knees are bowing outwards so not to catch on the snare. ??
They naturally sit that way. Which is why I had almost always put my pedals close.
After extending the pedals and putting a 13 there I still had the bow going on.