Similarities I find with Mapex and Tama.

I've found some similarities with Tama and Mapex over some research.

1) They both provide unique drums at affordable prices.
2) Both companies have they're budget lines and they both sound amazing.
3) They're laquer finishes are second to none. Excellent!
4) The hardware provided from both companies are fantastic and also unique.
5) Tama have Bubinga. Mapex have Walnut. Both at affordable prices compared to other brands such as Pearl's Bubinga.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member

1) They both provide unique drums at affordable prices.
Define "Unique"? Much like nearly every other drum on the market, they're all round, made from wood plies.

2) Both companies have they're budget lines and they both sound amazing.
So does Pearl and Yamaha.

3) They're laquer finishes are second to none. Excellent
You could say that about a large number of manuactuers. DW, GMS, etc.

4) The hardware provided from both companies are fantastic and also unique.
Pearl, Yamaha and DW make great hardware, as do several off brands.
And again, define "unique".

5) Tama have Bubinga. Mapex have Walnut. Both at affordable prices compared to other brands such as Pearl's Bubinga.
And Yamaha has Oak.
And Tama's 100% Bubuniga aren't exactly inexpensive.

Not criticizing either brand (I kind of want a Tama Bubinga kit myself), but those points could be said about many brands.

S

sticks4drums

Define "Unique"? Much like nearly every other drum on the market, they're all round, made from wood plies.

So does Pearl and Yamaha.

You could say that about a large number of manuactuers. DW, GMS, etc.

Pearl, Yamaha and DW make great hardware, as do several off brands.
And again, define "unique".

And Yamaha has Oak.
And Tama's 100% Bubuniga aren't exactly inexpensive.

Not criticizing either brand (I kind of want a Tama Bubinga kit myself), but those points could be said about many brands.
Your right. I just didn't want to burst his balloon. :)

C

Crazy8s

I have 100% Bubinga. I love them ;)

Definitely not cheap. But worth it!
The Tama Bubinga Starclassics are totally killer! My GC store had got some of the very first issues of them and they sounded so frickin sweet!

The wood itself is not cheap, for sure, but JEEZ!!! Tama sure puts a steep price tag on them! They are worth it though as they are 'right there'!

Between Mapex and Tama, I'm lookin' at Tama first. So many of my favorite recordings were made with Tama drums that I must admit to being a huge fan! They definitely are Stars!

A

audiotech

My Tama Starclassic Bubinga drums are three years old this month. I chose those over every other kit I could lay my hands on and directly compare them to, including Orion and Saturn. They're very sweet sounding drums, nothing like them. I really can't think of many similarities between them and any other makes.

Dennis

S

sticks4drums

Nice kit Audiotech. My buddy just ordered a 5 piece Babinga Elilte, I think in the quilted finish. I am looking forward to hearing how they sound compared to my Saturns. I know every time he sits at my kit, he tells me that he hopes his kit sounds this good. I was all set to order a Starclassic B/B until I sat down at a Saturn. Wonder how much different the all Babinga shell is to the Birch Babinga?

Big Foot

Silver Member
Are you sure about that? :)
I'd say so. I'm not arguing quality.

My feeling is that Tama's been around awhile and they get the edge with the guys who've been playing for a few decades. Mapex is definitely popular w/ the younger guys - who, aren't really interested in a companies history. Such as you might find with, for example, Gretsch and Ludwig fans, who in part, are fans for the company history.

Again, I'm not talking quality here...

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I think they both make great drums.

The thing I find a little odd is, with Mapex, the Orion kits basically ALL have that Burl with a different color on them.
It looks great, but having it under ALL the colors, with no other real options?
It would be nice if there were some different options available.

The finishes are done great, but I guess if you want something different, you just buy something else.

Tama has "these" finishes on some kits and that's it....unless you pay an arm and both legs. I had no idea they even offered a 26" bass drum, and I guess Yamaha does too, but only in 14" deph, which wouldn't be what I want, so these brands are pretty much "out" for me.
I just want what I want (like everyone else), but I DO like the sound and quality of Tama and Mapex. They just don't offer what I want in the larger sizes.

I'm sure Mapex's 18x24 is a beast (or a Tama), but I don't "want" a 24....right now, so it's not totally out of question that I'd buy a Mapex kit.

I am however completely satisfied with the 4 Ludwig kits I already have, so according to my wife, if asked, it is not in the realm of possibility that I'd buy a Mapex kit haha!

Also, both are amazing craftmanship. Pearls craftsmanship is abit poor and they're drum sound like other drums though Tama and Mapex offer a new sound and they're mounts and hardware are quite unique. People have compared Gibralatar and DW hardware to each other. All that's different it the companies logo is on it.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Also, both are amazing craftmanship. Pearls craftsmanship is abit poor and they're drum sound like other drums though Tama and Mapex offer a new sound and they're mounts and hardware are quite unique. People have compared Gibralatar and DW hardware to each other. All that's different it the companies logo is on it.
I'm not sure which Pearls you're talking about, but I've always found them be very well constructed. Pearl make great shells - they're just not for me.

A

audiotech

Both are made in China...
Most of the Tamas are now made in China, except for the Bubinga Elite and Bubinga Omni-Tunes. When I bought my Starclassic Bubinga drums three years ago, they were still being made in Japan before Tama split the lines into the Elite and regular (China made) bubinga series. You can readily tell from the lacquered decals compared to the screwed on badges. The same goes for the Starclassic maple drums. If you want to pay a nice premium in cost, you can still have the Maple kits made for you in Japan.

Dennis

M

mediocrefunkybeat

I found they're drums poor. Even they're Masters series kits.
The Forum line perhaps - but I've never seen a 'poor' Pearl kit. I don't like their mounting hardware at all, but I really think they make some of the best shells. Where did you see these 'poor' Pearl kits?