Show us your Mapex kits!

Picked these up over the weekend. 20, 10,12, 14.

Attachments

• 20170702_170509-700x1200.jpg
    20170702_170509-700x1200.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 542
Yeah, it's definitely bulky. Wouldn't I have to get 4 extra lugs to take the bass drum mount off though?

Yeah, it's definitely bulky. Wouldn't I have to get 4 extra lugs to take the bass drum mount off though?

What no, don't the tubes come off the lugs somehow? My memory fails me on the details, but it was an easy removal. I can't imagine I got extra lugs when I bought it (used).

Edit: OK my memory came back when I found the big metal thing in the basement: Yes you need extra lugs...

Last edited:
I tried today to take the tubes apart from the lugs, and unless they are just stuck in there really well, they don't separate.

However, I can take the actual mount and the plate off of the tubes, and it'll just leave the tubes and the attached lugs.

I tried today to take the tubes apart from the lugs, and unless they are just stuck in there really well, they don't separate.

However, I can take the actual mount and the plate off of the tubes, and it'll just leave the tubes and the attached lugs.

I've never looked at one of those mounts that close up, but... Is there maybe a set screw inside the mounting screw hole in the lug holding it all together? I've come across other lugs with a similar design.

The mount uses four special lugs with holes on both sides, one for the claw for the bass drum hoop and one for the metal rod that holds up the tom mount. The rods fit tight but they do come out if you remove all four lugs. If the mount is removed, substitute four regular lugs (one hole only, for the bass drum claw) for the four special lugs.
Beware: it's way more difficult to reattach the mount than to remove it (imagine trying to hold together the four lugs on the two rods and insert them simultaneously into the four lug holes on the drum). As suggested, it may be better to just remove the plate and tom mount, and leave the rods in place.

An update to my previous post: I just took a look at my drum. To remove the plate, the front pair of lugs (closer to the resonant head) must be removed, because they hold the plate to the shell. The lug is held at two points (the rod inserted horizontally, and the peg inserted vertically into the shell) so it may be impossible to remove without removing the entire assembly.

An update to my previous post: I just took a look at my drum. To remove the plate, the front pair of lugs (closer to the resonant head) must be removed, because they hold the plate to the shell. The lug is held at two points (the rod inserted horizontally, and the peg inserted vertically into the shell) so it may be impossible to remove without removing the entire assembly.

I did have to completely remove the entire mounting system. I got the mounting bracket and plate off, but there are little black plastic pieces attached to the rods that don't look like they can be removed. So I might have to just put the plate back on until I can try and order some lugs.

My 2009 Mapex Maple Meridians...Front & rear view. 10-12-14-16 & 22

Attachments

• IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 475

I also removed my BD tom mount and rather than ordering new lugs I moved those 4 and the tubes down to the bottom lugs that hold the BD spurs on. I actually like the way mine looks with one tube down each side near the bottom and I saved a few dollars on ordering lugs. Something to consider anyway.

I also removed my BD tom mount and rather than ordering new lugs I moved those 4 and the tubes down to the bottom lugs that hold the BD spurs on. I actually like the way mine looks with one tube down each side near the bottom and I saved a few dollars on ordering lugs. Something to consider anyway.

That's a good idea. I actually bought a set of 4 lugs on Reverb last night, but in the meantime, I think I will try and move the tubes to the bottom side. I don't even really mind how they look, it's just those two black plastic pieces rattle around and it looks like the only way to remove them is to break them.

If you pull the rods out of the lugs you should be able to slide the plastic pieces off the end.

I've tried, and I can't seem to get the rods out of the lugs.

Just picked up this kit, my first one in 19 years!! Guessing its circa 2005/6. Can't wait to start playing (terribly)!

Attachments

• $_86.JPG
    $_86.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 327
  • $_86 (1).JPG
    $_86 (1).JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 321
  • $_86 (2).JPG
    $_86 (2).JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 324
Back