Show time...

aydee

Platinum Member
Trying to help people who don't want help is such a waste of time.
But we must, my brother! 'Tis our moral duty as responsible children of this planet! Mother Teresa would turn in her grave if she heard you entertain such a thought!

We must not give up on this lad!

con struct

Platinum Member
I asked a simple question and it turned into a bash thread just because you didn't like my attitude, why couldn't you just answer my 1 simple question?.
So the question is, do we cancel if we can't pull the songs off in time, or do we take the show regardless of how we sound?
You should cancel if you can't pull off the songs. You shouldn't even be thinking about performing until you can pull off the songs.

C

Christ-Hammer

You should cancel if you can't pull off the songs. You shouldn't even be thinking about performing until you can pull off the songs.
Thats what I was trying to tell my band and my keyboard player agreed, but everyone else was like, no we have to do this, we have to get out there! I was like do any of you realize that we can't even get through our songs yet hahaha. Since then though we have been practicing them up more and we are able to get through the first 2 and we didn't dumb any of the parts down, we actually made them harder.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Thats what I was trying to tell my band and my keyboard player agreed, but everyone else was like, no we have to do this, we have to get out there! I was like do any of you realize that we can't even get through our songs yet hahaha. Since then though we have been practicing them up more and we are able to get through the first 2 and we didn't dumb any of the parts down, we actually made them harder.
Who's the leader of this band? It sounds like either you or the keyboard player should be. Who is booking the gigs?

You guys should wait to play until you can play through a "set". However long a set would be for you (30 minutes, 45 minutes, 5 hours...???), it only makes sense that you would prepare yourself to be able to perform for something that you've booked for yourself. The band leader should have a clear idea of what the band can AND can't do, and communicate to whoever is doing the booking what kind of gigs to look for.

I couldn't count on two hands how many times I've been to some dive and seen a band onstage with 30 minutes left in their set with nothing else to play. They just stand around like morons, saying;
"Um, aren't we done?"
"Wait! Why don't we play that one song?"
"Nah, it's not ready yet?"
"Hey, remember that jam we had last practice? Let's do that!"
"I don't remember how it goes..."
"What do we do now?"

...and they don't realize that the mics are picking up the whole conversation while the venue watches in disbelief! Ah, the beauty of watching naive inexperience manifest itself into an embarrassing and uncomfortable display of mediocrity.

Meat the beat

I don't think a lot of you know what a band is.... You don't have to have so many songs to be considered a band. You are all apes, and thus shall be treated as apes...
"We would like to see most of the human race killed off because it is unworthy, unworthy of the gift of life."
Lovely wind up
mate! Best way to get out of trouble!!

C

Christ-Hammer

Wait a second, I play both death metal and Jazz. Neither well though.
I was talking about comparing, cause I do both as well, nice to see more of this type around, nice to meet you :D

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I couldn't count on two hands how many times I've been to some dive and seen a band onstage with 30 minutes left in their set with nothing else to play. They just stand around like morons, saying;
"Um, aren't we done?"
"What do we do now?"

...and they don't realize that the mics are picking up the whole conversation while the venue watches in disbelief! Ah, the beauty of watching naive inexperience manifest itself into an embarrassing and uncomfortable display of mediocrity.
Who here can honestly say that they have never been there and done that?

zafrothunder

"Um, aren't we done?"
"What do we do now?"

lol when that happens you just have to start freaking out and destroying the stage...kinda like this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huJs-xS8wg4