Should you practice all the permutations of Double Strokes?

Personally to develop the double stroke roll i play rudiments with brushes,and i work with this routine in different tempo range:

RRLL (one bar for every combinations)
RLLR
LLRR
LRRL

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Inverted doubles are a great way to practice the double stroke roll. I wrote an article on that topic for Modern Drummer Magazine. You can find it in the October 2015 issue (pages 70-72).

In case you don't have that issue, I can summarize. With my students, I start with inverted doubles played over 16th or 32nd notes (similar to the video that you referred to). Then, I have them experiment with both doubles and inverted doubles played over triplets and quintuplets. Finally, I have them switch the rates (one beat each of 8ths, 8th triplets, 16ths, and quintuplets).

Jeff

jazzin'

Silver Member
I think it's incredibly important to practice the inverted doubles, and this exercise is an excellent way to get that happening and the transition between them. This exact exercise was actually a favourite warm up of mine for a long time. Really like it.

The one thing I'd add to it is also to move between subdivisions while keeping up the transitions as normal.

I would start out with quarter notes to quarter note triplets, to eighths, eighth note triplets, 16ths, quintuplets, 16th note triplets and depending on the tempo you can go up to septuplets and 32nd notes. As a warm up, I usually just went to 16th triplets though.

I prefer the sound and feel of inverted doubles for fills though, so I spent a lot of time with them. So while I may be biased, I think they're as important as getting your normal doubles down and must be practiced obsessively forever!

These are all good things to practice. Very useful!

I always recommend learning all the rudiments left hand lead. Just to keep that hand up to speed.

My left hand has always been my weak link.

Another really good one to work on is accenting the second stroke of the doubles. such as rRlL rRlL Inverted doubles make your double strokes more powerful and sound awesome in grooves once you get them tight.
I think the left hand is almost everybody's weak link. And yeah that accented 2nd stroke does make the doubles sound more consistent :)

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
These are all good things to practice. Very useful!

I always recommend learning all the rudiments left hand lead. Just to keep that hand up to speed.

My left hand has always been my weak link.

Another really good one to work on is accenting the second stroke of the doubles. such as rRlL rRlL Inverted doubles make your double strokes more powerful and sound awesome in grooves once you get them tight.

Hey drummers, thought I'd help with my 2 cents worth of practicing rudiments(in this case Double Strokes) in all their different permutations. Sort of like displacing them which I feel is necessary to develop the full potential of any pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GisP0iqkTc4

What do you all think? And do you practice different permutations of your rudiments :)