Should I use a port hole in a DW bass head?

Victa

Hi guys,

So I need some advice. I just purchased a DW kit and it's the first time that I have NOT had a port hole in a kick drum. I am noticing that every time I hit the drum I get a double hit (flutter) it's driving me crazy, I'm not sure if it's because I'm not used to the new pedal (DW5000) or if it's because there is no port hole.

Can anyone please help? I think it's due to the lack of port but I don't want to cut a hole and find that the problem is still there.

I have the skins tuned down quite low and the tension on the pedal is medium-low.

Thanks in advance,

Vic

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Two things to look at. Do you bury the beater? That is do you leave it against the head after striking the head. My worst habit. If you do work on it. In the mean time loosen the batter head to stop some double bouncing, and or try a softer beater.

Victa

I do bury the beater, bad habit I know, I'm working on it. I'm going to try retune and see how that goes. if I still have the problem is that something that the port hole will help fix?

T

TheArchitect

I do bury the beater, bad habit I know, I'm working on it. I'm going to try retune and see how that goes. if I still have the problem is that something that the port hole will help fix?
A port hole will help with that but the best fix is to work on the pedal technique. Then you have the option of ported or not ported. Gives you the gammut of tones available from the drum