Should I change?

slowrocker

Silver Member
So, I am not really new to drumming. I've been doing it about ten years. I am 18 years old though, and having trouble just getting the ideal set and cymbals. For now, I have the cymbals I want. It is all Zildjian A stuff in good condition. At some point I would like to switch to aax-celerator hats and maybe add another crash, but the cymbals are fine for now. With the drumset however, it isn't quite the same. I love my set. It sounds totally unique and unlike other sets I have heard. It is a four piece ocdp. Now I am starting to realize I am kind of sick of only having a four piece. I just got the set a couple of years ago. It sounds great, but the sound is not quite what I am wanting now. The set has little versatility, and while the bass drum has an amazing boom, I am starting to want more of a deep punch instead. I have been looking at switching to another set. I could sell the set and fork out a couple of hundred dollars and get a silverstar or stage custom.

What I am asking is, should I stay for a couple of more years, or go ahead and make the change when I feel the need?

What I am asking is, should I stay for a couple of more years, or go ahead and make the change when I feel the need?

Make the change if you feel the need. That's why you'll see people on this forum with multiple kits, or wanting to buy a second (or third or fourth...). Just remember that you can change the sound of your kit tremendously with new heads or new tunings, but cymbals are what they are.

Do what makes you happy and what you can afford.

So, I am not really new to drumming. I've been doing it about ten years. I am 18 years old though, and having trouble just getting the ideal set and cymbals. For now, I have the cymbals I want. It is all Zildjian A stuff in good condition. At some point I would like to switch to aax-celerator hats and maybe add another crash, but the cymbals are fine for now. With the drumset however, it isn't quite the same. I love my set. It sounds totally unique and unlike other sets I have heard. It is a four piece ocdp. Now I am starting to realize I am kind of sick of only having a four piece. I just got the set a couple of years ago. It sounds great, but the sound is not quite what I am wanting now. The set has little versatility, and while the bass drum has an amazing boom, I am starting to want more of a deep punch instead. I have been looking at switching to another set. I could sell the set and fork out a couple of hundred dollars and get a silverstar or stage custom.

So is it the number of pc.s of the kit? You feel limited in sound sources?
Or the bass drum?
There are at least a couple points you made here. I also recommend experimenting with tuning, heads, and all of the various combinations. Also, my opinion would depend what level drummer/musician you are and what your needs are, so it's hard to say.
Usually I'd say save your money and buy a killer kit in a few years...who knows what you'll be doing then musically and performing!..well, just my own experience anyway.

So is it the number of pc.s of the kit? You feel limited in sound sources?
Or the bass drum?
There are at least a couple points you made here. I also recommend experimenting with tuning, heads, and all of the various combinations. Also, my opinion would depend what level drummer/musician you are and what your needs are, so it's hard to say.
Usually I'd say save your money and buy a killer kit in a few years...who knows what you'll be doing then musically and performing!..well, just my own experience anyway.

I do want to expand to a five or six piece set. This set sounds awesome how it is tuned now, but doesn't sound that great when I try to work with other tunings. I need a set to practice and occasionally gig, but I am not recording. I liked the silverstar for its versatility and looks and I can get them new at GC for $600. I am a freshman in college so I don't want to really spend a lot on a set until I graduate. I don't even know how soon after it would be, so I would say if I waited it could be six years plus depending on the situation.

I'll be honest and say that at 18, I'm not sure you really know what you need. Unless you've been gigging on a regular basis since you were 10 (doubtful) I'm not sure you've used what you have to it's full potential yet. And even if you plan on an upgrade, your suggestion of silverstars or stage customs sounds more sideways than upward.

Of course, you can do whatever you want, buy whatever you can afford and be happy, I'm not saying you can't do that.

But have you really pushed the envelope of your talent yet? Are the drums themselves just not able to handle what you're asking them to do? Have you actually tried different head combinations (top and bottom - which can get expensive by itself)? Have you tried new playing techniques? Without having seen you play, there's no definitive answer except to say "go for it and get what you want".

How about posting a video so we can see what you can do first?

"I love my set. It sounds totally unique and unlike other sets I have heard. It is a four piece ocdp. Now I am starting to realize I am kind of sick of only having a four piece."

What about just adding a tom? You can spend a fortune on new shells, but why as you said you love your set. There are so many other ways to get happier with a couple hundred dollars...

"I love my set. It sounds totally unique and unlike other sets I have heard. It is a four piece ocdp. Now I am starting to realize I am kind of sick of only having a four piece."

What about just adding a tom? You can spend a fortune on new shells, but why as you said you love your set. There are so many other ways to get happier with a couple hundred dollars...

What this guy said. Add that extra tom and see if you like it better. I made the mistake of adding an extra tom for a gig and it nearly threw off my playing. I almost had no idea what to do with the extra tom. My fills were, for lack of better words, sloppy as hell. As much as I believe more toms would be better, I really truly appreciate a drummer who can make a 4 piece sound like a 20 piece...like Benny Greb.

I'll be honest and say that at 18, I'm not sure you really know what you need. Unless you've been gigging on a regular basis since you were 10 (doubtful) I'm not sure you've used what you have to it's full potential yet. And even if you plan on an upgrade, your suggestion of silverstars or stage customs sounds more sideways than upward.

Of course, you can do whatever you want, buy whatever you can afford and be happy, I'm not saying you can't do that.

But have you really pushed the envelope of your talent yet? Are the drums themselves just not able to handle what you're asking them to do? Have you actually tried different head combinations (top and bottom - which can get expensive by itself)? Have you tried new playing techniques? Without having seen you play, there's no definitive answer except to say "go for it and get what you want".

How about posting a video so we can see what you can do first?

Like I said, I love my drums. I'm not looking for necessarily something a lot better, but something different. The problem with these OCDP's is that they are loud and deep, and sound good like that, but when I try other things they just can't seem to get close to the quality I want. I can make small changes that will sound good, I just think that when I bought them it was more for looks and a ready upgrade then really a thought out purchase. I would love to keep them and pick up something else, but I don't have that kind of money right now. I have new heads, but I just feel that spending $150-200 on heads won't totally satisfy my needs. I do understand that I may change again, but I feel that something like the stage customs or silverstars would be perfect because I would get a five piece and could go back and forth whenever I wanted, and they would be more versatile and I could switch heads and tunings to get different sounds.

As of right now, I have nothing to record myself on that is quality. I had a phone with good videos of my playing but it got stolen and I lost all of that.

What this guy said. Add that extra tom and see if you like it better. I made the mistake of adding an extra tom for a gig and it nearly threw off my playing. I almost had no idea what to do with the extra tom. My fills were, for lack of better words, sloppy as hell. As much as I believe more toms would be better, I really truly appreciate a drummer who can make a 4 piece sound like a 20 piece...like Benny Greb.

I like playing four piece, I am just wanting to play five right now. I would probably go back and forth if I did have a five piece. Right now I don't have that option, and I feel a little limited as far as doing what I want.

I did look on ebay to see if they have an extra tom in my finish, but didn't see anything. I think the blue onyx venice was only made in a four piece.

So add a smaller or larger ride tom and a smaller or larger floor tom. That way you have 6 pieces and can mix them however you feel the need. If you really feel the need for a new kit go for. Good luck with your decisions and your future endeavors.

Lose your toms and get a set of Roto-toms. The look and sound is so old it'll be new! Or try substituting timbales for your rack and floor tom. Hal Blaine did all these hit records with those before creating the Octa-Plus drum set.

You have no idea what I'm talking about, huh?

If you think they sound awesome then I say get an extra tom from ebay and don't worry if it's a different brand or colour. Pearl references use different shells for different sized toms if that's any consolation.

Make your next kit a pro one, don't just buy something because it's all you can afford at the time.

If you think they sound awesome then I say get an extra tom from ebay and don't worry if it's a different brand or colour. Pearl references use different shells for different sized toms if that's any consolation.

That's a good idea so you can at least know if you'd want a bigger set before buying a new one.
I've played 5 pieces since I started playing. When I bought my current kit, it's a 6 piece (10" tom), and it's like the piece I've been missing my whole life. Can't really explain it. I just feel so comfortable with it. So maybe adding another tom will do something for you. Or I could just be weird.

Thanks for all of the input. Another question, I am pretty sure I want to switch to a five piece. I have not decided on birch or maple, but I am wondering if I should buy a silverstar (sometime in the future, not necessarily within a couple of weeks, but I want to know before I sell my set) Or should save up a little more and pick up a Sonor Select Force set. I love the look of both sets, and I have found good deals new on both ($600 for the silverstar, $750 for the Select Force) I have not played a Select force and likely would not be able to in advance. I should be able to get to play a silverstar. Is the Select force good enough to pay an extra $150 plus shipping? I am not in a hurry to do anything right now. I would rather make the right choice here, than regret it later.

For me it is all about getting "the sound" you want, appearance comes in second to sound.
If you need to change your gear to get the sound you are after, go for it!

Here's a guy selling an OCDP 5 piece, for $450. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-OCDP-...416?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25809a89c8 Just so you know, when you decide to sell your 4 piece. And, like you're not so happy with a 4, selling your 4 might be kind of a "hard sell" .... especially since you really can't expand your kit.​
.... I am pretty sure I want to switch to a five piece. ..... I love the look of both sets .....
So .... are you going for a new look .... or a new sound?​
I think at this stage of the game, you need to get out there and listen to some different kits. I'd simply shop for an orphan rack tom ..... maybe a floor tom, too. Or, shop for a larger used kit.​
The set has little versatility, and while the bass drum has an amazing boom, I am starting to want more of a deep punch instead.
This is more a case of head selection, than moving onto another drum kit. For that matter, whatever heads you have on the bass drum, I'd bet adding a strip of felt to the batter and reso will get you more punch, and less boom ..... and cost you only a couple of bucks.​

That Sonor Select Force sure is nice, isn't it? I was eyeballing that one too in the Brown Galaxy finish. Sweetness!

Here's a guy selling an OCDP 5 piece, for $450. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-OCDP-...416?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25809a89c8 Just so you know, when you decide to sell your 4 piece. And, like you're not so happy with a 4, selling your 4 might be kind of a "hard sell" .... especially since you really can't expand your kit.​

I understand that. I am going to be patient about it, but if it does happen to sell quickly I do not want to go too long without a set.

That Sonor Select Force sure is nice, isn't it? I was eyeballing that one too in the Brown Galaxy finish. Sweetness!

Yes the Brown Galaxy is the finish I was looking at. There was also a similar in red, but I prefer the brown with that sparkle. It looks really good.

Back