Should I buy a pa speaker?

ManosMax13

I want to be able to play along to a song and have my family or friends as an audience. The space that I play in is an empty big room with a lot of echo. Should I buy a sub 200 dollar pa skeaker. Will that do the job?

harryconway

Platinum Member
You're gonna need more than just a speaker. What are you using as your sound source? From there, you need an amplifier. A speaker is at the very end of the chain. What other equipment do you have already?

ManosMax13

You're gonna need more than just a speaker. What are you using as your sound source? From there, you need an amplifier. A speaker is at the very end of the chain. What other equipment do you have already?
A phone. I wanna buy an active speaker tho not a passive so the amplification is built in.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Do you have a model in mind? If so .... post a link to it. The obstacle to overcome is how much speaker power you're gonna need. In order to play music over a drum set, you're gonna need some power. And I'm not sure a sub-$200 unit is gonna have enough juice to compete with a drum set.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
How quiet do you play? I have a full PA system in my basement for jamming. If I am drumming at full volume that thing is freaking loud to be able to hear it. Drums are REALLY loud. Someitmes I'll jam on the ekit with studio monitors and a sub and music that works better at low volumes.

You could try some hotrods or something too if you want. An active speaker is the way to go if you do go that route, 200 might be tight though unless you are looking used.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I want to be able to play along to a song and have my family or friends as an audience.
Do you want to keep your family as family and your friends as friends? If so, why do you want to subject them to this? I'm thinking this is going to be much more entertaining to you than to anybody else, so give this a lot of thought.

GeeDeeEmm

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
If you want a speaker to do this with, I'd suggest a used JBL Eon G2 in a 15" model. They have a lot of decent bass response, self-powered, have several inputs in the back, and it even has it's own mixer on the back panel. Oh, and they are loud.

The finish they used on those is easily scratched, so they almost always look bad. If you can hear it before you buy it, this should do the trick.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Maybe about a minimum 50 watt powered speaker and a cable to connect your phone to the speaker. I practice with that setup sometimes. If you have WIFI then you can play the songs on Youtube and internet.

TMe

Playing along with music coming through speakers is a great way to learn how to play quietly. If that's not your goal, you need something monstrously loud. When playing with other musicians, there's a dialog between the drums and the other instruments, so things don't need to be as loud. When playing with recorded music, the band does not respond at all, so the music needs to be louder than the drums. That's pretty loud.

Jbravo

I have two Mackie thump 15’s in my drum room. They’re plenty loud, but if I cranked them up to drum kit loud without hearing protection I’d be completely deaf in a week.

The reason I leave them set up is that my wife prefers to hear me drumming with music rather than listening to the drums alone.

But when I’m playing there are two closed doors between us, and I’m listening to both drums and music through sealed headphones at a much lower volume level.

I have to admit she doesn’t watch me play, and if she needs me for something she comes in with her ears plugged and waits for me to shut it down...or texts me 😂

Mongrel

Silver Member
I have two Mackie thump 15’s in my drum room. They’re plenty loud, but if I cranked them up to drum kit loud without hearing protection I’d be completely deaf in a week.

The reason I leave them set up is that my wife prefers to hear me drumming with music rather than listening to the drums alone.

But when I’m playing there are two closed doors between us, and I’m listening to both drums and music through sealed headphones at a much lower volume level.

I have to admit she doesn’t watch me play, and if she needs me for something she comes in with her ears plugged and waits for me to shut it down...or texts me 😂
I just had to double check and see if I posted under another name....lol...

Then I saw "Mackie" and I use Altos.....so I knew it wasn't me!

Same here-"How did the drums sound Babe?" "Welllll....without music I don't know what you were trying to do."

lol

ManosMax13

Do you have a model in mind? If so .... post a link to it. The obstacle to overcome is how much speaker power you're gonna need. In order to play music over a drum set, you're gonna need some power. And I'm not sure a sub-$200 unit is gonna have enough juice to compete with a drum set.
STAGG KMS-10

ManosMax13

How quiet do you play? I have a full PA system in my basement for jamming. If I am drumming at full volume that thing is freaking loud to be able to hear it. Drums are REALLY loud. Someitmes I'll jam on the ekit with studio monitors and a sub and music that works better at low volumes.

You could try some hotrods or something too if you want. An active speaker is the way to go if you do go that route, 200 might be tight though unless you are looking used.
I play fairly quiet because the room I play is a 100 square meters empty apartment with a good amount of echo and if I play very loud or at full power my ears hurt and the kit does not sound good.

ManosMax13

Do you want to keep your family as family and your friends as friends? If so, why do you want to subject them to this? I'm thinking this is going to be much more entertaining to you than to anybody else, so give this a lot of thought.

GeeDeeEmm
Why do you say so? I want always be practicing with the pa speaker. I have headphones. The pa speaker will be for special events, showing my parents and friends a cover of a song and jamming a bit when my friend brings his guitar.

ManosMax13

My drum teacher or coach however you wanna call him told me that because Im still a student I should not get used to playing with rods and I should play with sticks like 98% of the time. I have rods tho and I used them when my friend brought his 30 dollar jbl speaker for jamming.

ManosMax13

If you want a speaker to do this with, I'd suggest a used JBL Eon G2 in a 15" model. They have a lot of decent bass response, self-powered, have several inputs in the back, and it even has it's own mixer on the back panel. Oh, and they are loud.

The finish they used on those is easily scratched, so they almost always look bad. If you can hear it before you buy it, this should do the trick.
Ok thanks I will do my research on that but you are generally recommending something used because of my low budget?

ManosMax13

Maybe about a minimum 50 watt powered speaker and a cable to connect your phone to the speaker. I practice with that setup sometimes. If you have WIFI then you can play the songs on Youtube and internet.
I was thinking to buy a STAGG KMS-10 that is over double that and will do the job right?

ManosMax13

Playing along with music coming through speakers is a great way to learn how to play quietly. If that's not your goal, you need something monstrously loud. When playing with other musicians, there's a dialog between the drums and the other instruments, so things don't need to be as loud. When playing with recorded music, the band does not respond at all, so the music needs to be louder than the drums. That's pretty loud.
I generally play quietly because the room that I play in is a 100 square foot empty space with a good amount of echo so the drums dont sound good if if I bash them also the cymbals are pretty cheap I think the meinl hcs lineup or whatever used to come with Tama imperial drumset old model tho because I got it used so its an old model.