Shot down by Mapex :(

S

sticks4drums

Here is an analogy to go with my new saying. "They are getting bigger, I am getting smaller"

Think of it as buildings. A company starts out in a small shop, and the owner, or head of the company has his office on the ground floor. I am standing outside looking at his store front, and admiring his goods in the window. Say like a "Guru" company. The owner looks out his window and says hi. We chat a bit and I leave feeling good about his product. Many years pass, and I walk up to the same company, but now the building is very large. Maybe 10 stories tall. The owner no longer resides there. The man that runs the company has his office on the top floor. He looks out his window, and all he can see is a small blur on the sidewalk. He can't even talk to me anymore, because I won't be able to hear him at such a lofty location. My stature as a person in size has not changed, but the companies stature has. :(

tamadrm

Platinum Member
This is really disapointing,but not unexpected.

Does Mapex even make an 8x8 tom in that ply lay up?

Not for nothing Glen,but it's not just the 14 K you personally spent on their drums. How many kits did you sell for them.?Think about it.How many posters on this forum,purchased Mapex because YOU convinced then to?.How many purchased Mapex,because of advice YOU gave on your website.?

You're personally responsible for many thousands of dollares in sales,as Mapex's unofficial ambassador.

Not even a keychain?:(

This is why companys go out of business....lack of customer service.A little OT here,but there was an article on the web,stating the same thing about Best Buy,and how their lack of customer service,and proper employee training,will be their demise

Gladstone drum will make the walnut/maple shell and get the Mapex hardware,but the finish may be problematic,but not impossible.,and not cheap.

Anyway..sorry to hear that your favorite drum company,let you down.This will bite them in the arse,a small bite,but a bite none the less.Cheers;)

Steve B.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Everyone who frequents this forum should send a letter to Mapex petitioning them to make this drum, citing Sticks' efforts to promote their brand.

Show me where and I'll send 'em one for ya, Sticks.

S

sticks4drums

No, it was Algorithm's signature. It's a song by The Clash called 'Lost in the Supermarket'.

Now onto matters here. That does rather suck but sadly this can be the case with larger companies sometimes. You have invested a lot in your Mapex kits and done a lot to raise their profile here; although they seem quite capable of doing that themselves if the London Drum Show was anything to go by. The attitude you've had back is disappointing and in your situation I'd probably feel much the same. I would want them to make a special case too (wouldn't everyone?) but I do think of all the 'regular' customers Mapex have (i.e. not with artist deals) you probably deserve more a break than anyone.

So I can see why you're disappointed. Now I'm going to eat some cake.
Thanks buddy. Good reply! Don't eat too much. :)

S

sticks4drums

I wasn't using your misfortune to make a point, I was simply replying to Richard.J's post when he said every drum company is all about the $.

I'm genuinely saddened by your experience, because most of us know how it feels when your efforts are not appreciated. I'd still consider bypassing the distributor & petitioning Mapex directly. & yes, a link to this thread, a few more on this forum, & your own site would paint a picture. If, after viewing all that, & they have the ability to make your drum, they come back & refuse to cooperate, even at a premuim, then you know how you're thought of.

On the harsh reality side of the discussion, if you're buying into a product that's banged out by the 1,000's, no matter how well made it is, you can't expect to receive the same accomodation as you would from a more bespoke focussed operation. Mapex kits are good value for money, & part of the reason why is down to volume batch manufacture. You have to accept that fact. Indeed the answer may be even more simple than that. Maybe they bought a job lot of ply sheet, decided to make a limited run from it, & they've run out of raw material. Just a thought.
They have lots of material. They just introduced four new colours in the same limited edition set. I am sure they still have lots of sparkle paint and lacquer left as well. :) Big company, small person. Like I said, 3 years ago, this would not of been a problem with them. They are getting bigger, and I am getting smaller. That was a good saying. I think I will write that down. :)

patrice

That is true. They will. I think I am somewhere in-between the two though. Many of the regulars on here have admitted that I kind of really opened people's eye's to the Mapex brand over the last year. I have my own web site that I talk a lot about my kits. My Monster kit has had lots of attention on many websites, and on youtube. I have spent a crap load on their product, and I could even venture to say that I probably give their product more exposure, than a lot of their smaller endorsed players, that nobody every hears about, do. The internet reaches a lot of folks. This site alone reaches many drummers around the world.
I'd also contact them directly. Several times, if necessary.

Sometimes you get lucky, and you find an employee who can be bothered to help.

I've had great luck in the past dealing with DW, then good luck with one Paiste rep, but bad luck with another Paiste rep.

Patrice

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Hey buddy. Your back. :) Can you expound a little on your post.
No, it was Algorithm's signature. It's a song by The Clash called 'Lost in the Supermarket'.

Now onto matters here. That does rather suck but sadly this can be the case with larger companies sometimes. You have invested a lot in your Mapex kits and done a lot to raise their profile here; although they seem quite capable of doing that themselves if the London Drum Show was anything to go by. The attitude you've had back is disappointing and in your situation I'd probably feel much the same. I would want them to make a special case too (wouldn't everyone?) but I do think of all the 'regular' customers Mapex have (i.e. not with artist deals) you probably deserve more a break than anyone.

So I can see why you're disappointed. Now I'm going to eat some cake.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Hey buddy. I have no doubt what so ever that if I was dealing with a company like yours, this would not even be a topic. I don't want to sound like a spoiled brat here. I have more drums than anybody should. This just kind of took me back a bit. Made me remember who I was to them in the grand scheme of things. I won't loose any sleep over it. Just didn't think it was going to be a hard thing to accomplish. In my pre-medication days, I might of been on a plane to Taiwan. Look out! :)
I wasn't using your misfortune to make a point, I was simply replying to Richard.J's post when he said every drum company is all about the $.

I'm genuinely saddened by your experience, because most of us know how it feels when your efforts are not appreciated. I'd still consider bypassing the distributor & petitioning Mapex directly. & yes, a link to this thread, a few more on this forum, & your own site would paint a picture. If, after viewing all that, & they have the ability to make your drum, they come back & refuse to cooperate, even at a premuim, then you know how you're thought of.

On the harsh reality side of the discussion, if you're buying into a product that's banged out by the 1,000's, no matter how well made it is, you can't expect to receive the same accomodation as you would from a more bespoke focussed operation. Mapex kits are good value for money, & part of the reason why is down to volume batch manufacture. You have to accept that fact. Indeed the answer may be even more simple than that. Maybe they bought a job lot of ply sheet, decided to make a limited run from it, & they've run out of raw material. Just a thought.

bonzolead

Platinum Member
That sucks Sticks, I know as others do on the forum how LOYAL you are to Mapex but it comes down to business is business but it is a slap in the face.

Great customer service is hard to find anymore but maybe if you keeps bugging them they may bend. as the saying goes "The squeaky hinge gets oiled first"

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

Andy@MIT

Do what I do, get the president of the company's name and tell him or her what you need. I always go as far up the food chain as possible. The person in charge may not even know that his sales reps are saying no to these things. grrrr
This might work in the USA or even Western Europe, but you'd get laughed (or thrown) out the door just about anywhere in Asia, China and Taiwan included... FYI

toddy

Platinum Member
dude this is awful.
F*ck any drum company that doesn't help out their customers.

I may not have ever played a Mapex kit but I feel like I may as well have owned one for years with the amount of promotion you've given them on this forum.

This is why you go with custom drum companies (or buy a used kit for cheap and just use it), because at the end of the day the big companies really don't care. Just another serial number on their automated far east production line.

It's the same reason I buy organic meat from a butcher instead of buying mass-produced gruel from Tescos. Big business sucks dicks, hopefully there'll be a major shift in attitudes in the next decades.

S

sticks4drums

they may not "owe" you anything and maybe $14k is small peanuts to them but I bet you are one of their largest accounts for an indivicual and think of how many people own their kits, never go on the internet with pics, never play out and compare that to the agressive (is this term to agressive?) support Mapeex gets from Sticks and I would say that IF they were going to make an exception for any non-endorsed customer, it would be Sticks.

Did you make a stink about it and get a real answer as to why they wont? Can you buy a different shell and make one? Does the $14k include electrical tape?
Hey buddy. Thanks for the great reply. The electrical tape puts me way over the 14 k mark. I buy the good stuff you know. :)

Toolate

Platinum Member
they may not "owe" you anything and maybe $14k is small peanuts to them but I bet you are one of their largest accounts for an indivicual and think of how many people own their kits, never go on the internet with pics, never play out and compare that to the agressive (is this term to agressive?) support Mapeex gets from Sticks and I would say that IF they were going to make an exception for any non-endorsed customer, it would be Sticks.

Did you make a stink about it and get a real answer as to why they wont? Can you buy a different shell and make one? Does the $14k include electrical tape?

S

sticks4drums

If you'd ever dealt with our company, you'd know that's not true. We turn away work quite frequently, but never because it's too much trouble to keep a customer happy.

Sticks, sorry to hear of your deflating experience, genuinely. It's gut wrenching when you've put so much faith in a product, to then have them disregard your efforts. That said, I think it's worthwhile contacting Mapex directly. Mapex may well have placed the decision in the hands of their distributor. Sales rep's are notoriously poor at delivering bad news, & typically blame another party for the decision. It gives them an easy ride, rather than taking it on the chin & having to justify themselves. I'm not saying that is the case, but it's worth a shot.

If all else fails, it's not too difficult for a good custom builder to replicate the finish with a similar shell. The one saving aspect to that route, is that the specific shell construction for an 8" tom is far less critical than it is for larger toms with a more distinct voice. If you wanted to be really picky, there are builders who will bespoke manufacture a ply shell.

If it were me, I'd forget the idea & just enjoy your kit as it is. It's not as if you're stuck for choice of kits with 8" toms.
Hey buddy. I have no doubt what so ever that if I was dealing with a company like yours, this would not even be a topic. I don't want to sound like a spoiled brat here. I have more drums than anybody should. This just kind of took me back a bit. Made me remember who I was to them in the grand scheme of things. I won't loose any sleep over it. Just didn't think it was going to be a hard thing to accomplish. In my pre-medication days, I might of been on a plane to Taiwan. Look out! :)

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
If your interested I know where you can have a pro kit built with no lugs so it will be 100 % American made.
That's cool. I'm on a very limited budget right now. This project is a future project and I think I can find some vintage lugs perhaps. Right now I have two projects going with old Pearl drums (made in Japan, btw).

To be honest, I have my preferences like anybody, but until somebody pays me money to endorse their product, I am loyal to nobody and I'll play whatever suits me at the time. Right now it's vintage Pearls.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
We are just dollar signs to EVERY company.
If you'd ever dealt with our company, you'd know that's not true. We turn away work quite frequently, but never because it's too much trouble to keep a customer happy.

Sticks, sorry to hear of your deflating experience, genuinely. It's gut wrenching when you've put so much faith in a product, to then have them disregard your efforts. That said, I think it's worthwhile contacting Mapex directly. Mapex may well have placed the decision in the hands of their distributor. Sales rep's are notoriously poor at delivering bad news, & typically blame another party for the decision. It gives them an easy ride, rather than taking it on the chin & having to justify themselves. I'm not saying that is the case, but it's worth a shot.

If all else fails, it's not too difficult for a good custom builder to replicate the finish with a similar shell. The one saving aspect to that route, is that the specific shell construction for an 8" tom is far less critical than it is for larger toms with a more distinct voice. If you wanted to be really picky, there are builders who will bespoke manufacture a ply shell.

If it were me, I'd forget the idea & just enjoy your kit as it is. It's not as if you're stuck for choice of kits with 8" toms.

drumkat

I personally would feel betrayed by Mapex.

I have no doubt that Mapex has reps employed to surf forums like this one in order to see what is going on.

No doubt, they would know about sticks and the amount of time and effort he has put into his drums.

C'mon Mapex....for goodness sake.

If your company ever goes under...it is customers like sticks who could get you back again...dont forget that we are your bread and butter