Shipping drums to Europe?

HokosPokos

So, I had my heart broken when I found that Musiciansfriend (as Music123 and Guitar Center) does not ship their drums to Sweden. They had a sweet deal for a Tama Superstar SK Hyperdrive (with hardware) for $969.

So I'm trying to find a store that sells them for a similar price. I have found some but none that sells that exact kit or it's much more expensive and without hardware. Buying in Sweden is not an option since drums is hella expensive here... used or new!

Anyone has any tips?

RogerLudwig

Last year I shipped a 5-piece drum kit with hardware from California to Italy via UPS. It cost about $1500. That was the cheapest way I could send them without renting space in a cargon container (a bad option).

Once you figure in shipping costs, it may be cheaper to buy in Europe

HokosPokos

Where did you buy those drums?

Yeah, I know it probably will be cheaper to buy the drumset but it's hard to find a similar deal here compared to what I found in the states :) That's why I need some tips on nice europan drum sites.

RogerLudwig

Where did you buy those drums?

Yeah, I know it probably will be cheaper to buy the drumset but it's hard to find a similar deal here compared to what I found in the states :) That's why I need some tips on nice europan drum sites.

Its not that I bought a set to use myself. I sold a set of drums on Ebay to a fellow in Spezia, Italy. I had to pack them and find a shipper. UPS was by far the cheapest, but it still cost around $1500 (the buyer paid). I can't remember if it was four of five boxes.

Skulmoski

Gold Member
Last year I shipped a 5-piece drum kit with hardware from California to Italy via UPS. It cost about $1500. That was the cheapest way I could send them without renting space in a cargon container (a bad option).
Why is shipping by a cargo container a bad option? I have successfully used this option a number of times. $1500 for a 5 piece drum kit by container seems to be a bit much.

Last year I used the container option to ship a 11 drums from Drumskull Drums and for $578 US, I received:
1 large dununba, with heavy duty case and stand (40 lbs)
1 large djembe, with heavy duty case and head cover (25 lbs)
1 Conga with head cover (40 lbs)
1 Quinto with head cover (40 lbs)
2 LP basket stands for congas (10 lbs)
3 African bells
5 CDs

The wait took about 2-3 months and they arrived in good shape. This shipment came from California all the way to the Middle East. (The 7 other drums for friends cost $94.30 per drum.)

I too am very limited to the selection of drums and I just have to pay the shipping or do with out the drums. Tough choice.

GJS

RogerLudwig

Why is shipping by a cargo container a bad option? I have successfully used this option a number of times. $1500 for a 5 piece drum kit by container seems to be a bit much.

Last year I used the container option to ship a 11 drums from Drumskull Drums and for $578 US, I received:
1 large dununba, with heavy duty case and stand (40 lbs)
1 large djembe, with heavy duty case and head cover (25 lbs)
1 Conga with head cover (40 lbs)
1 Quinto with head cover (40 lbs)
2 LP basket stands for congas (10 lbs)
3 African bells
5 CDs

The wait took about 2-3 months and they arrived in good shape. This shipment came from California all the way to the Middle East. (The 7 other drums for friends cost $94.30 per drum.)

I too am very limited to the selection of drums and I just have to pay the shipping or do with out the drums. Tough choice.

GJS
When I looked into sending my ex-drum kit to Italy by container I was told I'd have to take it to either the port of LA/Long Beach or to the LA international airport in order to get space in a container. Supposedly that was the only place I could find a shipper who could accommodate me. It is over 100 miles away and there was no "expert" to give me advice. So, not wanting to spend a whole lot of time trying to get the particulars of shipping by container I took the easier route of using UPS. The buyer paid or I might have spent more time investigating.

All that being said, I'd be interested to hear about the logistics of getting your's sent? Did you pack them and deliver them to a shipper? Was there a middle man? And how did you pick them up at your end? I was told that the receiver would have to pick them up at a port of entry.

HokosPokos

Well, I've found a site in Germany that sells Tama superstar and they ship in boxes (though haven't asked yet what postalservice they use) for only 20 Euro!! Though alot more expensive then american prices it's the best I've found..

Skulmoski: Sometimes I really wish I lived in the US...

Skulmoski

Gold Member
All that being said, I'd be interested to hear about the logistics of getting your's sent? Did you pack them and deliver them to a shipper? Was there a middle man? And how did you pick them up at your end? I was told that the receiver would have to pick them up at a port of entry.
Drumskull Drums took care of all the packaging and logistics at the point of origin. They are in Santa Cruz, California and shipped the drums to me in the United Arab Emirates. Call them at 831.429.5766 or email them and ask for Ryan for further information (one of the owners and tell him you were speaking to Greg in Abu Dhabi). (Check out their website and you just might find something interesting for yourself! http://www.drumskulldrums.com/index.php )

I took care of all the receiving paperwork at my end. That meant I worked with the shipper in Abu Dhabi, customs and the port authority. This effort took about 3-4 hours and saved me $500 to $1000.

Good luck

GJS