shell ply for toms?

silly

any suggestions?
i play alot of hard rock/metal and alittle hip hop name the ply and describe the sound

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
More plies mean a thicker, heavier shell, which will make a drum louder, but it will have less warmth. There are ways to compensate for that with heads, tuning, wood types and shell depth.

sqadan

I'm not sure what you are getting at exactly... can you elaborate?

More plies does not always mean thicker shells... You can have a 7mm 6 ply drum shell or a 6mm 7 ply drum shell etc...

And number of plies and shell thickness is only one of many, many factors making up the sound of a drum. More important are bearing edges, drum head selection and tuning.

In terms of thickness, usually, a thinner shell will have slightly woodier tone where a thicker shell will project more and have a bit more volume... but in this case - pay attention to the actual shell thickness - NOT the number of plies.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I'm not sure what you are getting at exactly... can you elaborate?

More plies does not always mean thicker shells... You can have a 7mm 6 ply drum shell or a 6mm 7 ply drum shell etc...

And number of plies and shell thickness is only one of many, many factors making up the sound of a drum. More important are bearing edges, drum head selection and tuning.

In terms of thickness, usually, a thinner shell will have slightly woodier tone where a thicker shell will project more and have a bit more volume... but in this case - pay attention to the actual shell thickness - NOT the number of plies.
You are correct. I was equating thickness with more plies, which is usually the case but not always. You can have a thin shell with more plies than a thick shell with a few plies.

For this person's genre, I would suggest a thicker shell for more volume.