Sharing the studio

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hey all -

I've finally gotten my little home studio back up and running with some slight improvements and thought I'd share it with you here. Mainly it involved in outfitting my Yamaha O1v mixing console with an additional digital I/O card so I can actually have eight separate outputs, which feed the eight inputs of my Zoom R16 8-track recorder (it'll record a total of 16 tracks, but simultaneously it will record up to eight channels at once). For mixdown, the two stereo outputs of the Zoom go back into the Yamaha O1v so I can monitor what I'm doing - as the Zoom is it's own mixer as well. I do all the monitoring off of my KRK Rokit 5 studio monitors.

So I can either record everything here and mix down to stereo two track (I have a Tascam DR-05 flash card recorder for that), OR, I can take the card from my Zoom R16, and then transfer those tracks to my Mac computer running Studio Logic and do alot of tweaking in my computer room, that has it's own studio monitors as well.

I really like this Zoom because I can use it as a stand-alone, or in conjunction with a nice console like I'm doing here, or I can couple it with a computer as a USB audio interface. It's the option of not having to use a computer all the time that's attractive. When I go record stuff live, I really don't want to hassle having to use a computer too. So this set-up, as dirt-simple as it is, gives me options, and pretty good audio to boot! Let me know what you think!

BTW - Yes, I know I can use the Zoom without the Yamaha. But the pre-amps and general circuitry of the Yamaha just puts the Zoom to shame. It gives me the ability to do better EQ, better dynamic control, better everything, compared to the Zoom circuitry. That's why I use it this way. But in a pinch I can just use the Zoom too.

Attachments

AZStickman

I'm taking notes on your recording set up, but man I can't take my eyes off that Rogers kit...... Even if you do have it set up backwards it is beautiful!!...... Terry

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Nice setup Bo. Clean - straight to the point. There is one negative however, your sound will be seriously compromised with not having both tom badges facing forward. Really, how could you ;) ;) ;)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Nice setup Bo. Clean - straight to the point. There is one negative however, your sound will be seriously compromised with not having both tom badges facing forward. Really, how could you ;) ;) ;)
Sorry Andy! But you know, if I set up right handed, the other tom badge would be facing the wrong way! That's just how it was in the 70s, eh?