Sexy grooves

Liebe zeit

Silver Member
I've been asked to be in the house band for a burlesque/life drawing event in summer. Yes! What a gig! :D

But anyway, I've got to help come up with some tunes for the event (4 or 5 for the ladies to remove clothing to and a background extended ambient tune) and we need sexy drum grooves.

So far I'm thinking the swing involved in triplet-based grooves make them a natural choice:
slow 12/8; faster 12/8s a la Link Wray's band; Purdie shuffle; midtempo shuffle; Green Onions implied shuffle.

Also the funk-esque Boogaloo Beat (see Tramp, Lowell Fulson), but that's also for the swing it contains.

So, can you guys think of any other must-have sexy drum grooves?

A

Anthony Amodeo

put on any Marvin Gaye or Al Green record

or you can go classic va va va voom stripper groove with the slow swing

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
preconceptions often lead to wasted time. kind of like when you buy a nice set of going to the big city clothes and you're laughed at, cause your idea of what goes on there was very different than the reality.

ask the ladies what they want as lead-in music. ask the proprieter what works in his venue etc. etc. check the landscape.

of course you can't go wrong if you ask yourself...what would Paul Schaffer do ?

if by life drawing, you mean background music while artists draw human forms, i would think something relaxing, light and beautiful. i would not think that something bawdy or overt would work in that situation.

Liebe zeit

Silver Member
preconceptions often lead to wasted time. kind of like when you buy a nice set of going to the big city clothes and you're laughed at, cause your idea of what goes on there was very different than the reality.

ask the ladies what they want as lead-in music. ask the proprieter what works in his venue etc. etc. check the landscape.
Chill out, fellah. Our guitarist knows the people running it. We've had suggestions for type of music that included

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwqsh9IACyQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUHrihRDLX8

Hence my thoughts so far on 12/8 and shuffly stuff

More serious answer - get out your brushes and think Peggy Lee type vibe.
Good idea. Trouble is, I've never learned brushes, but I guess here's the opportunity

j-ronimo

Any of the beats from Amy Winehous' records would do, as well as Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings; boogaloo, laid back r&b and that fun kind of swung doo-wop one drop stuff like on the old 60's raggae grooves. Also, James Hunter records have some awesome stuff on them, kinda Ray Charles type stuff. Also, you should check out a record by Shawn Pelton and Brian Mitchell called "House of Diablo". those guys would always have live dancers at their shows, real swanky stuff. Don't really know how to describe it other than amazing and one of a kind.

j-ronimo

al green was mentioned too. anything with al jackson jr drumming on it. Cross sticking back beats, Earl Palmer with fats domino and Little Richard. Also, James Gadson, and yes: Gotta get to work on those brushes, man. lots of cool doors will open.

j-ronimo

sorry, now i'm on a roll thinking about it. Any of the old big band stuff; loui, buddy, gene. Those swung, tribal floor tom beats can be good for that sort of thing. Also, if you haven't yet, check out the Squirrel Nut Zippers, Royal Crown Revue, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, and a lot of that old Sun Records, rockabilly stuff. Daniel Glass has all sorts of ideas on this subject. He does some stuff for drum magazine and has some youtube videos. you should google him. and brian setzers old drummer Bernie Dresel, and the Nut zippers drummer's name is Chris Phillips, i believe. all amazing stuff for sure.

digibird

You Can Leave Your Hat On - Joe Cocker

Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard

Eyes Without A Face - Billy Idol

I'm A Slave 4 U - Britney Spears

Justify My Love - Madonna

Cream - Prince

Hot Legs - Rod Stewart

Super Freak - Rick James

Closer - Nine Inch Nails

Girls, Girls, Girls - Motley Crue

Toxic - Britney Spears