Settle an argument please

burn-4

as soon as I hit the bass drum I can tell the snare is off-

just make sure you check it before you play (the snare that is) probably a good habit to get into anyway rather than looking like a tool for playing a backbeat that sounded like a red indian tribal beat

P

PDPx7Drummer

*opens door*

I can't believe this thread has reached 3 pages.

*closes door and shakes head on the way out*

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
*opens door*

I can't believe this thread has reached 3 pages.

*closes door and shakes head on the way out*
I'm only showing 2 pages. Does that mean my computer's wearing out faster because I didn't switch it off overnight? ;)

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Snares off because of snare buzz, not for extending the life of the snares or bottom head. If you want to preserve the life if the heads, it would make sense to de-tune all of the heads as well, if you follow the same logic.

At least he's not changing the configuration of the kit every time. THEN there might be something to complain about, but only if it was your kit that you left set up, and if you had a sign posted to not change the configuration, or at least change it back when they're done playing.

Snares off is the least of your worries. At least it's a quick and easy fix, AND you know to expect it. As far as extending the life of the snares, there *might* be some validity to that argument, but it would seem that the disengaging/re-engaging of the snares would do more wear and tear. I have no empirical evidence to support or disprove that claim...
If I could de-tune and re-tune heads as easily and reliably as with a snare throwoff, then you bet I would do it.

I release my snare and drop my top hat each and every time. I do think it extends the life of the instrument. On the other hand, I think you have a point in that the movement of things back-and-forth imposes another kind of wear and tear.

P

PDPx7Drummer

I'm only showing 2 pages. Does that mean my computer's wearing out faster because I didn't switch it off overnight? ;)
you should've chosen another thread for your impressive appearance.
This thread is actually little more than one page long.
lol keep it simple! :D

Actually you're right Swiss but I didn't adjust that feature in my options to show 40+ posts per page, so yes mine shows 3 at the moment. I guess I should of put an lol as I was just messing around. :)

groove1

Silver Member
I wouldn't want to leave my drums in a "state" where they will make sympathetic unwanted
sounds when the organ is playing, a choir singing, someone talking through a PA etc. It
is common courtesy to "disengage the sympathetic soundmakers". It's so easy for a drummer to do this. Someone else trying may really mess things up.

Drummers often "drop the snares" during bass solos in small group jazz.

bigiainw

Gold Member
Seems to me your blaming this guy for doing his thing. Surely your lack of preparation is the issue here?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Quote....His rationale for disengaging them is it extends the life of the snares and the bottom head.

His made question had to do with the above and not whether the buzz was annoying during an organ solo. Turning them off then is only common sense. But there is no proof that turning them off while not in use will prolong their life.

B

Balto

Well a spring at rest should keep its shape better than one that is being stretched for long periods of time.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The spring on the hi hat is at rest when it is up. Loosening the clutch so that the top hat sits on the bottom hat does nothing. Most snare releases have no spring only a cam or other pressure device.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Well a spring at rest should keep its shape better than one that is being stretched for long periods of time.
Do you release the springs on your bass drum pedals? I doubt it... :))

The solicitation of a spring leads to wear and tear, a resting spring, in whatever position, is not solicitated, thereof, not subject to wear and tear :)

My current hi-hat stand and cymbals is over 25 years old, I always leave it open, unless I'm taking the drums down for gigs, never had a problem, I never had to change or correct any settings, and it's working fine... the same applies to my bass drum pedals, I had a Camco for 28 years, never had to change the spring :)

When you release the top cymbal on a hi-hat stand, the rod goes into full open position :)

I guess it's more of a habit than an actual benefit in regards to the life of the springs, no one's right or wrong, it's down to personal taste and belief in the matter :))

B

Balto

The spring on the hi hat is at rest when it is up. Loosening the clutch so that the top hat sits on the bottom hat does nothing. Most snare releases have no spring only a cam or other pressure device.
The snares are a group of springs that are stretched when it is activated. I was not talking about the throw itself. There is tension on the hi hat spring from the weight of the top hat. The heavier the top hat the more tension on the spring from the down rod, pushing downwards, from the weight of the top hat. It isn't much, but it is there.
I think like most questions on here, some are going to do it, and some aren't, and most everyone won't change there mind by anything that is said in this thread!

B

Balto

Do you release the springs on your bass drum pedals? I doubt it... :))

The solicitation of a spring leads to wear and tear, a resting spring, in whatever position, is not solicitated, thereof, not subject to wear and tear :)

My current hi-hat stand and cymbals is over 25 years old, I always leave it open, unless I'm taking the drums down for gigs, never had a problem, I never had to change or correct any settings, and it's working fine... the same applies to my bass drum pedals, I had a Camco for 28 years, never had to change the spring :)

When you release the top cymbal on a hi-hat stand, the rod goes into full open position :)

I guess it's more of a habit than an actual benefit in regards to the life of the springs, no one's right or wrong, it's down to personal taste and belief in the matter :))
I will just repeat what I said below!
"I think like most questions on here, some are going to do it, and some aren't, and most everyone won't change there mind by anything that is said in this thread!"

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
this is from a Drum:Magazine drum care article:

Whether you move the drum a lot or it stays in one place, leave the throw-off in the on position. The snares and bottom head are less likely to get damaged when the wires are tight against the head

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
I generally disengage my snares when not in use because they're getting a bit old nowadays and I need to draw out their life span a bit longer. I release my high-hat clutch because the pole that the clutch rests on has enough wear on it already.

Just check the snares before you play, it's not difficult or a nuisance.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I often turn my snares off when I play, either to get that nice woody tone or to avoid detracting from quiet drumless passages. So it's obviously second nature for me to check the snares.

But drummers who always leave their snares engaged are more likely to be caught with their snares down in this situation.

Darwin in action ... /joking/

shambo

I share a kit with my 9 year old son. You never know what you may find. I just cross my fingers and hope for the best. I have come home to all my drums detuned. I wasn't mad. I was happy he was exploring tuning options
Now that's funny.

I guess I'm stuck on the idea that you don't hit the snare at least once before starting the first song. No John Bonham Tribute Triplets before you dive in?

drummerman42

I sometimes turn off the snare's when I'm done playing simply because, it's a habit! I agree with was stated earlier, it probably won't extend the life of the strainer or the throw-off since it's constantly in motion. probably will wear out quicker! As for the hi-hat, I don't drop the top hat simply because to me it's annoying to find where I had it placed in the beginning!