Setting up to record Yamaha DTX-700: MIDI Wizard help needed

JES

Hi,

My wife and I are setting up her Yamaha DTX 700 drums to record MIDI, so I can then assign sounds in Battery or whatever. We are just using it as a MIDI controller; we're recording and monitoring none of its internal sounds at all.

Short version: how do we set velocity levels, sensitivity, and range for MIDI outputs? The manual and reference manual are, ah, less than clear on this question.

Slightly longer version: In my DAW (I've tried Bitwig, Live, and Logic with the same results) we're getting very low velocity output from the DTX-700, especially on the snare. Even when she hauls off on the snare, I'm getting velocities in the high 80s.

Also, what are the ideal velocity ranges for a basic rock beat being recorded as MIDI data?

Thanks for your help.

SirSwingsAlot

If she doesn’t insist on playing the part logic does have a “drummer” feature that would save you a lot of time. You may want to make sure the pads are sounding good with the normal drum brain not connected to a DAW and that could help with the issue of velocity. Best of luck

JES

Thanks. But we are trying to play together for fun, so the Logic Drummer sort of undermines that. The idea is to record long jams and build material out of that (we already play together in a traditional band, this is for a "side project").

JES

I'm also wondering if an easier solution exists in software, rather than messing with the DTX, which appears to have some of the worst manuals I've ever seen.

SirSwingsAlot

Oh I see. I would try to just turn the velocity all the way up and see what happens if it’s being faulty. If that doesn’t work your pads may be shot