Setting Up My Alesis Nitro Mesh Kit For Recording Using MIDI

Readie

Hey! So I recently got an Alesis Nitro Mesh Kit (and I'm loving it) but I'm pretty much stumped on how to record it via MIDI. I have downloaded a couple of DAWs on my computer but I can't seem to figure out how to record the kit itself. If anyone could give me advice on how to set the kit up for recording, that would be ultra-helpful. Cheers!

electrodrummer

Hiya

That's a big topic!

You can record the MIDI (i.e. digital information of what pads you hit and how hard - sort of digital sheet-music - NO sounds) and/or you can record the audio from the drum module.

I tend to do this:
1. record the MIDI
2. tweak the MIDI notes if necessary
3. play the MIDI back to the module
4. record the audio.

To record the MIDI, you'll need a MIDI interface on your computer. For most this will be a MIDI to USB interface, loads on the market, just avoid the seriously cheap ebay ones. Go for a brand like M-Audio, etc.
To record the audio, you probably need an audio interface on your computer, unless the built-in audio is good enough. Same as with the MIDI, above, loads on the market, lowest entry point probably the Behringer UCA202, then sky's the limit!

Readie

Hiya

That's a big topic!

You can record the MIDI (i.e. digital information of what pads you hit and how hard - sort of digital sheet-music - NO sounds) and/or you can record the audio from the drum module.

I tend to do this:
1. record the MIDI
2. tweak the MIDI notes if necessary
3. play the MIDI back to the module
4. record the audio.

To record the MIDI, you'll need a MIDI interface on your computer. For most this will be a MIDI to USB interface, loads on the market, just avoid the seriously cheap ebay ones. Go for a brand like M-Audio, etc.
To record the audio, you probably need an audio interface on your computer, unless the built-in audio is good enough. Same as with the MIDI, above, loads on the market, lowest entry point probably the Behringer UCA202, then sky's the limit!
From the videos I've watched, it seems simple enough to just record the MIDI on a DAW like Tracktion or Cakewalk. I have a USB MIDI interface (it is a cheap ebay one though, as I wanted to test my drum module for recording before spending too much cash on one) but I'm not quite sure how to configure audio/MIDI settings in order to record the drums. I vaguely understand how MIDI works but I just can't adjust my settings properly.

NickCesarz

Hey! So I recently got an Alesis Nitro Mesh Kit (and I'm loving it) but I'm pretty much stumped on how to record it via MIDI. I have downloaded a couple of DAWs on my computer but I can't seem to figure out how to record the kit itself. If anyone could give me advice on how to set the kit up for recording, that would be ultra-helpful. Cheers!
Should be simple enough in Cakewalk. Since the Nitro Mesh module has a USB output, you should be able to connect to your computer with just a USB cable. You had mentioned you bought a MIDI -> USB adapter, which shouldn't be necessary.

Inside Cakewalk you'll need to use an instrument track, assuming that Cakewalk comes installed with some drum kits. If not, you can download a free one (Google 'Power Drum Kit') and install that.

If you're looking to record the MIDI to your computer, send it back to the module, and the record the drums off of the module, that will require some technical routing, but it can be done.

Personally, I've always opted for virtual instruments as I think they sound better than any module available on the market. Favorites include GetGood Drums, Drumforge, Superior Drummer 3, That Sound, and more. IMO

Last edited: