Set Lists

tard

Gold Member
Trying to put together a new band but unsure which direction to go because the local clubs are not booking classic rock anymore, blues never flew around here and country is limited to 1 or 2 clubs a couple times a year and a few low paying community center gigs. There is some good modern stuff out there but I am not sure if there is enough of it to put a full night together with out using electronics and a bunch of sampling. Would like to see some set lists of the stuff you guys are getting successful results with playing bars, clubs, etc in your area to get some ideas.

tard

Gold Member
You could cover the entire album Human Clay by Creed....
Yeh, thought about possibly putting together a tribute band of some sort but then that limits you to only playing the same cubs once every 12 to 18 months. Its doable but you need an agent to cover a larger than just local area as you will need 50 to 75 clubs to be able to play weekly.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Well, Umm, Id like to thank everyone that helped out....lol!
Well, I'm not sure what is left.

If not classic rock or blues or country, what else does a working band play?

I live in the land where bands tend to come in one of two flavors: All Original or tribute.

tard

Gold Member
Well, I'm not sure what is left.

If not classic rock or blues or country, what else does a working band play?

I live in the land where bands tend to come in one of two flavors: All Original or tribute.
Were leaning toward rocked up 70's and 80's dance and disco. Something like "just kate" did to "hot stuff" or "boot sauce" did to "everyones a winner", also "bonfire" did a good job of "sweet home alabama" and I also like what "axel rudi pell" did to "in the air tonight" Were thinking of doing the same thing to a bunch of them that had good hooks and then add some of the new stuff out there to like maroon5, marinas trench, bruno mars, danny fernades, pink, hedley, train etc just might do it. The clubs we have been talking to have suggested the dance route because thats what gets the ladies into the clubs and if the ladies come to dance the guys will follow...lol. We just have been noticing that the clubs are stating to be mostly either DJ's or 1 to 2 man bands playing techno, usually e drums and some times a keyboard player too. I was actually talking to one guy last weekend, hes a one man show playing techno on his e kit, hes got an agent and hes getting $300 to $400 a night depending on the club and playing 2 to 3 times a week and paying his agent 12.5%, friggin sweet deal.

EricF

The approach my band is taking with covers is to make sure we do something different with them. Unless you can NAIL the original version, people get bored in a hurry with mediocre cover songs. If you can put a twist on it, and make it unexpected and fun, people will be entertained. Sometimes just changing the drum beat and tempo is enough (i.e., a reggae beat behind a punk song), sometimes it needs something more. Take a ridiculously mainstream (or even really corny) song that everyone knows the words to, and be creative with it.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I always thought that if the music you do appeals to women and propels them to dance, that's about the best you can do for a bar.

Netz Ausg

Silver Member
My band is pretty busy this year off of a collection of pop and rock from the 60s through to current releases. The mix is pretty diverse, but held together by our interperetation of the songs.

From all of our material we cover songs from any of the following (in no particular order):

Beatles
Billy Idol
Erasure
Lady Gaga
Amy McDonald
KT Tunstall
The Gossip
The Killers
The Cranberries
Jet
The Kinks
The Clash
The Dandy Worhols
Jessie J
Deelight
Scissor Sisters
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Rolling Stones
Coldplay
The Proclaimers
Gnarls Barkley
Train
Alanis Morisette
La Roux
Duffy
Lily Allen
Florence and the Machine
Biffy Clyro
Kings of Leon
Prince
Skunk Anansie

This list of musical sources is interchangable between wedding parties, pub gigs and whatnot. The general vibe of our tunes is rock oriented, though sometimes with a country/rock vibe on a few tunes, a funk/rock feel on a few others.

Some of those we do straight, as they already fit in to our sound and capabilities.

That's what earns us our £££ of a Saturday night!

Fuzrock

Silver Member
Here's some of the stuff we're doing.

You Spin Me -Dope 130
Don't You Forget About Me -New Found Glory 125
New Girl Now - Honeymoon Suite 110
Interstate Love Song -STP 85
Cumbersome -Seven Mary Three 80
Kryptonite -Three Doors Down 100
Rio -Duran Duran 140
Gel -Collective Soul 142
Come Out and Play -Offspring 157
Every Little Thing -Ra 160
Slither -Velvet Revolver 141
Slide -Goo Goo Dolls 113
White Wedding -Billy Idol 148
Banditos- Refreshments 148
Long Day -Matchbox 20 105
What I Got- Sublime 96
Creep -Radiohead 93
Machinehead -Bush 115
Swing, Swing -All-American Rejects 128
R U Gonna B My Girl -Jet 220
Harder to Breathe- Maroon 5 75
Beverly Hills -Weezer 88
Halfway Gone -Lifehouse 126
Home Sweet Home -Motley Crue 76
Flagpole Sitta -Harvey Danger 145
Figured You Out -Nickelback 95
She Hates Me -Puddle of Mudd 110
Holiday -Green Day 148
American Idiot -Green Day 188
Memory -Sugarcult 168
My Own Worst Enemy -Lit 105
1985 -Bowling for Soup 120
Goodbye Earl -Me 1st & the Gimmes 170
Talk Dirty to Me -Poison 157
The Middle -Jimmy Eat World 162
Shine -Collective Soul 75
Bad Girlfriend -Theory of a Deadman 135
F*&k You -?? Sick Puppies?? 128
Inside Out -Eve 6 92
All the Small Things- Blink 182 150
Paralyzer -Finger Eleven 108
Crazy Beotch- Buckcherry 98

Got You Where I Want You -The Flys ?
Baby One More Time -Bowling For Soup

Never Say Goodbye- Bonjovi
I Want You Too -Weezer
Learn to Fly -Foo Fighters
Long Way Down -Goo Goo Dolls
Santa Monica -Everclear
Everlong- Foo Fighters
Man in the Box -Alice in Chains

marko138

Silver Member
Yeh, thought about possibly putting together a tribute band of some sort but then that limits you to only playing the same cubs once every 12 to 18 months. Its doable but you need an agent to cover a larger than just local area as you will need 50 to 75 clubs to be able to play weekly.
Or you could play the club around me that books the same 5 or 6 cover bands over and over and over and over....every weekend.