Seperating the hands?

cantstoplt021

Any good books in the vein of new breed that work on seperating the hands from one another? I've put a lot of work into my hand/foot seperation so that's pretty good, but my hands need some work. I have a hard time keeping steady time with my right hand while improvising with my left.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Funky Primer by Charles Dowd is pretty good for that. You could also use Syncopation by Ted Reed-- play in 2/2, use any cymbal rhythm/bd part you want. And of course any jazz materials.

cantstoplt021

Funky Primer by Charles Dowd is pretty good for that. You could also use Syncopation by Ted Reed-- play in 2/2, use any cymbal rhythm/bd part you want. And of course any jazz materials.
I've worked through syncopation a little bit using stuff like triplet partials over a jazz ride and all that. I also have been working through the Art of Bop drumming and that's been great, but I'm looking for something more 16th note based. It's not like I have no independence cause I do, but some more would be great.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
There is material in New Breed for that. Need more ostinatos, choose one that's appropriate and useful for you.

You have identifed what you want to work on, so maybe work on only hands for a while with that in mind. Doing everything booth ways, left hand ostinato is very good conditioning.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Any jazz independence book will have the relevant exercises in it.

Try and find some music with examples in as well so you can learn subconsciously.

This is one of those things that is frustrating as hell and will involve a lot of swearing. Stick at it though dude!

brentcn

Platinum Member
Can you be more specific about what you're trying to learn? Maybe provide a musical example of the type of playing you have in mind? Why do you think that "separating the hands" will enable you to play this way?

I'm looking for something more 16th note based.
Here, you're describing New Breed. Instead of playing the "melody" exercises with your foot, you can do so with the left hand (which I think is suggested in the book itself).

Time Functioning Patterns (Vol. III) has exercises for this as well, and they're good because instead of reading a melody, you tackle small patterns until they feel comfortable.

BillBachman

Gold Member
Any good books in the vein of new breed that work on seperating the hands from one another? I've put a lot of work into my hand/foot seperation so that's pretty good, but my hands need some work. I have a hard time keeping steady time with my right hand while improvising with my left.
The last section in my book Stick Technique is all about this actually, various straight 8th & swung lead hand ostinatos with the different permutations working along with it. I think you'll dig it!