Sensitive drummer?

lsits

Gold Member
My surf band played at a birthday party this past weekend. The guitarist in the band and two of his friends were turning 64 within a two-week period. After we played a group of people who play at a Tuesday afternoon jam session at the American Legion in Newport Beach got up to play. They usually play acoustic guitars without a drummer. They asked if I would sit in with them.

I don't mean to be a name dropper but two of the guitar players in the group were Bob Spickard and Gil Orr from The Chantays. We played for about 45 minutes and I had a great time. I knew some of the songs and for the rest I mostly played time and watched the bass player to get the changes. After we were done playing and shaking hands Gil Orr said that I was one of the most sensitive drummers he's heard in a long time. I didn't think about it too much at the time but I've had a couple of days to think about it. I'm not a basher but I'm not a shrinking violet behind the kit either. I like to think that I play what's appropriate for the song. The comment I received went a long way in my opinion towards validating my thinking. My goal is to have "big ears" so that other musicians will want to work with me and give me a call when a situation arises.

Anduin

Pioneer Member
Ah, the joy of validation that you can fake your way through a gig! Feels great, doesn't it?

Congrats, and pat yourself on the back for that one.

Arky

Platinum Member
Kudos! Looks you did a great job.
Musical maturity is one of the toughest things to achieve.

Stefan Brodsky

As a young (junior high) percussionist, we had a band director whose mantra to us was that "drums were to be felt and not heard". Good God we used to laugh our asses off to that, but the longer I've played, the more this musical philosophy has made sense. From your experience, no doubt you subscribe to it as well. Hence your colleagues' comments re: sensitivity.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Congratulations on hearing real, non-gratuitous compliments from respected players. I bet you feel all warm and fuzzy about that. Those are the comments you never forget. Not many things top that. Way to go.

I take sensitive as meaning you were listening to them and responding in kind, whatever that may be.

Hopefully your card was in their pocket when they left.

JohnW

Silver Member
I suppose it's a dream to have someone who's respected in the music industry say about your playing, "Wow! That was some mind bendingly great drumming." What was said to you goes much deeper.

I don't think you can get a better compliment, as a musician.

lsits

Gold Member
Thanks for all the replies. I took it as a huge compliment. I usually joke to people that I'm a drummer, but my goal is to be a musician. Today I feel more like a musician. I feel like the second guy in that "You're Amazing"/"You're Hired" cartoon. It seems like the less you draw attention to yourself the more people (the right people) notice you.