Segmented wood, stave shells

SashoCrasho

Hi all. I want to ask you are the snare beds binding for these kind of shells? I saw some pictures and the most of them didn't have any, so...I'm not sure for myself what are they for but...Thanks in advance.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
The decision to have a snare bed or not has nothing to do with the type of shell construction, well, at least not defined by the shell construction. If you want to use a snare drum without a snare bed, that's fine, but you need to use a wire that's designed for that purpose, & not all are. A snare bed, in most cases, reduces wire buzz by "bedding" the wires into the reso head. It does this by reducing tension either side of the wires by virtue of the reduced bearing edge height. Some makers & players decide not to have a snare bed due to a reduction of reso head resonance and a degree of wire sensitivity. There's no right or wrong in this, just a choice like every other aspect of a drum's design.

We produce our own stave, steam bent, & segmented shells in house. They're crafted into drums used in a very wide range of applications, & we produce both with & without snare beds, depending on the character requirements of the player.

SashoCrasho

The decision to have a snare bed or not has nothing to do with the type of shell construction, well, at least not defined by the shell construction. If you want to use a snare drum without a snare bed, that's fine, but you need to use a wire that's designed for that purpose, & not all are. A snare bed, in most cases, reduces wire buzz by "bedding" the wires into the reso head. It does this by reducing tension either side of the wires by virtue of the reduced bearing edge height. Some makers & players decide not to have a snare bed due to a reduction of reso head resonance and a degree of wire sensitivity. There's no right or wrong in this, just a choice like every other aspect of a drum's design.

We produce our own stave, steam bent, & segmented shells in house. They're crafted into drums used in a very wide range of applications, & we produce both with & without snare beds, depending on the character requirements of the player.
Thanx, man, this was very clear and will be useful for me. I'm not into these things and I don't know which will be the right choice for my taste. I will go for it and do it without the snare beds, try the whole concept and then if not satisfied with the result - create the snare beds. Time and money consumer but that's the life of a regular drummer, right? :)