Second Hand Hi Hat Stand and Pedal

double bass man

I am about to buy my first Hi- Hat stand and pedal. Something decent. Your expertise welcome.

a) Is it wise to buy a second hand Hi Hat stand with pedal?--'wear and tear ' issue?--or buy new?
b) I want to buy a fairly good quality one--your advice on quality makes? What to look for?
c) What is 'the clutch? What is 'chain drive'?
d) Price for quality second hand--up to say £50?--more?

Many thanks.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Around $60 U.S.

Your market for used gear is going to be quite different from ours, and the prices are going to be disparate. Still, you should be able to find a Yamaha 600 or 700 series hihat stand for that price.

Chain drive simply refers to the means by which the hihat foot pedal is connected to the pull rod (which moves the top cymbal up and down). There are also direct-drive models using solid links between the pedal and the rod. And some chain-drive models incorporate profiled cams between the pedal and rod to alter the leverage ratio.

The hihat "clutch" is the part that holds the top cymbal onto the pull rod.

GeeDeeEmm

double bass man

Many thanks gdmoore28 for your reply.
a) Which of the 3 'drive' types mentioned above are the most reliable types of foot pedal--chain drive / direct-drive / profiled cams between the pedal and rod?
b) A big difference between the 3 types?
c) Ease pf playing maybe? Most reliable?
d) What would 'wear out'--needs replacing---in a second hand Hi-Hat stand?
The above questions are a learning curve for me.

Last edited:

gdmoore28

Gold Member
No problems, DBM. We like answering questions.

Personally, I 've never experienced any type of problems with any of the three systems, although my experience with the cam style pedals is quite limited. I wouldn't hesitate to buy and use either type.

I'd say that you will experience no differences between the "feel" of the chain drive vs. the direct drive. I haven't. The cam drive systems are another story, just as is the case with cam drive bass drum pedals. The cams are designed to alter the leverage of the pedal as it interacts with the pull rod. In most cases, the cam profile offers increased (faster-acting) leverage. But along with this faster action comes a modest increase in the pressure required to accomplish the movement. This is hardly noticeable, however, so I wouldn't let it sway me one way or the other.

Areas of potential wear? Not as much of an issue with modern hi-hat stands, as everything on the mechanism has been strengthened over the years. If there is wear, though, it would most likely be seen in the connection system between the footboard and pull rod; the rod that anchors the heel plate to the mechanism; or in the t-bolts used to adjust leg position or the one used to adjust upper tube height, or the castings used to accomplish that. (This kind of problem is the result of over-tightening the adjustment bolts. Modern stands require only very light pressure on the adjustment screws to achieve stability, and inexperienced owners tend to overtighten them. In the process, they can strip threads from the screws and/or the castings, or damage the nylon inserts which provide the actual pressure against the lower tube.)

Good luck with your search. I specifically mentioned the Yamaha 600/700 series hi-hat stands because of their reputation for not breaking. There are others, but when I think of rugged hardware, my mind always goes to Yamaha.

GeeDeeEmm

Mongrel

Silver Member
I am about to buy my first Hi- Hat stand and pedal. Something decent. Your expertise welcome.

a) Is it wise to buy a second hand Hi Hat stand with pedal?--'wear and tear ' issue?--or buy new?
b) I want to buy a fairly good quality one--your advice on quality makes? What to look for?
c) What is 'the clutch? What is 'chain drive'?
d) Price for quality second hand--up to say £50?--more?

Many thanks.
(Note: I am not sure whether you want a hi hat stand AND a bass drum pedal, or if you think the "pedal" part of the hi hat stand is separate?)

A. YES, it is wise to purchase used, especially hardware as long as it is not abused.
B. Any hi hat from a top maker (Tama, Yamaha, Pearl, DW, etc.) will be a quality piece of gear. Even the 'low end' stuff from these guys will work for years for the average player *not* playing harder stuff.
C. GDM answered these quite well...
D. Looks like 50 pounds would be the low end. Figure more like 65-75. (Man I wish I had one of those fancy 'L's on my keyboard!)

Here are some decent looking used hi hat stands on eBay. Not sure you are comfortable using them? Some people aren't, but I have had zero issues buying used music gear from there over the last....well...since they were founded I guess.

Anyway on to the links:

Used Yamaha stand complete with clutch (72GBP, Twickenham, United Kingdom ): https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-PROFESSIONAL-MODEL-HI-HAT-STAND-IN-GREAT-CONDITION-HS650W/163805123566?hash=item26238bd3ee:g:E8EAAOSwUGddR~lB&LH_ItemCondition=3000

Used Tama Roadpro with clutch (66.71GBP Liverpool): https://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMA-ROADPRO-Double-Braced-Hi-hat-Cymbal-Stand/254320173373?hash=item3b36a9e13d:g:-SYAAOSwFKBdRqzI&LH_ItemCondition=3000

Used (older) Sonor (54.63GBP Cardiff): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonor-hi-hat-stand/193028731915?hash=item2cf168b40b:g:m48AAOSwknFdRVa8&LH_ItemCondition=3000

There were a couple more in France and Germany. Not sure if that would work for you or not.

double bass man

Many thanks gdmoor28 and Mongrel for taking the time with all your very useful info---very much appreciated . Like most things it is always best to buy quality. Many thanks once again.