Rudiments/rolls practice schedule

ageadm

I am trying to learn all rudiments and rolls, I already played them all, but I want to keep improving the play and make them fast (I know this takes a lot).
I need to know how many rudiments/rolls I should practice for one day and how many minutes I should dedicate to each rudiment/roll so I get them to blaze faster.

Thanks.

Spreggy

Silver Member
Try practicing with the Vic Firth rudiment play-alongs. Try practicing one out of each category each day:

• Single Stokes (singe stroke roll, single four, single seven, etc...)

• Diddle Rudiments (paradiddle, paradiddle-diddle, etc...)

• Double Stoke Rolls (5, 7, 9 stroke rolls, etc...)

• Flam Rudiments (Flam Tap, Pataflafla, etc...)

• Drag Rudiments (lesson 25, ratamacue, etc...)

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.php

Jeff
I just wanted to say I really appreciate your posts, Jeff. Concise and useful as usual.

ageadm

Thanks a lot for the reply, mate. What I'd like to know next is how many minutes should I dedicate to each rudiment?

jeffwj

Platinum Member
I just wanted to say I really appreciate your posts, Jeff. Concise and useful as usual.
Thanks - I appreciate it.

Thanks a lot for the reply, mate. What I'd like to know next is how many minutes should I dedicate to each rudiment?
While you want to spend time on the instrument, please remember you want "quality, not just quantity." You can practice something for hours with incorrect technique or practice for 30 minutes and really concentrate on control and precision. That half hour will be time well spent.

Make sure that you are studying with a good teacher so you refine your technique while learning the rudiments. My book actually goes into the motions of almost every rudiment, so you may want to check that out as well.

Jeff