roland spds

Nealio1987

hello everyone ,

just wondering if anyone knows the best flash card to get for the spds ?

i know it can only be 512mb

any help would be greatley apreciated !

neal

jonutarr

you can also use a 1gb and 2gb cards if you download the update on the roland site, only 512mb will be usable though

gretsch292

Hey ya'll

I recently picked up one of these Roland SPD-S sampling pads used on craigslist.
I'm incorporating it into my cover band to trigger percussion loops (conga and bongo grooves, plus other percussion loops) as well as for individual sampled sounds (aux snare sounds, tamborine, cowbell, etc.). I have a Roland PD-* and a KD-7 hooked in for remote triggering of the module too.

I love the way the device performs, but I'm having some issues with false triggering from sympathetic vibration from my acoustic kit. Basically when I hit at a certain volume, the vibrations will cue the triggers causing an interruption of my loop.

I only started having this problem when I mounted the pad off of a wing extension on my gibraltar rack using the Roland dual ratcheting bracket with the metal mounting plate.

I was thinking that maybe I could stop the false triggering by adding a rubber gasket between the mounting plate and the module.

Any thoughts? Anyone else had this issue with the SPD-S?

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
I had the same problem. Tons of false triggering. Even if i bumped the dam thing it would trigger. You can set the noise gate really low but that effects the response time. I had many problems with the spd 11 I had . Eventually I got rid of it and bought a zen drum.

gretsch292

Thanks Joe.

At a rehearsal yesterday, I was using a house kit so I set my SPD-S up mounted off of a cymbal stand that was only holding the module. ZERO false triggering.

I'm still going to try to use a rubber gasket between the bracket and the module. (same theory as the rubber washers on suspension mounts). I'll let you guys know how it works out.

I really want to be able to mount the module on my rack!

Fuzrock

Silver Member
Thanks Joe.

At a rehearsal yesterday, I was using a house kit so I set my SPD-S up mounted off of a cymbal stand that was only holding the module. ZERO false triggering.

I'm still going to try to use a rubber gasket between the bracket and the module. (same theory as the rubber washers on suspension mounts). I'll let you guys know how it works out.

I really want to be able to mount the module on my rack!
I'm pretty sure that you can adjust the sensitivity for the external pads. I'm sure you can find a happy medium. I have my SPD-S mounted on my hexrack to my left and haven't had any issues with sympathetic vibrations causing misfires. I don't have any actual drums mounted on that side of the rack, though. Just couple of cymbals.

gretsch292

I'm pretty sure that you can adjust the sensitivity for the external pads. I'm sure you can find a happy medium. I have my SPD-S mounted on my hexrack to my left and haven't had any issues with sympathetic vibrations causing misfires. I don't have any actual drums mounted on that side of the rack, though. Just couple of cymbals.
thanks for the tip

I'm still getting used to the controls. I'll try adjusting the sensitivity and see how that works. It's mounted off of a 24" wing from the main rack bar, and it's the only thing mounted on the wing.