Rockbottom!

HipshotPercussion

My oldest daughter and her family live in London. Fortunately, they're visiting the States this week and are missing the action. Being a a dutiful father, I'm worried anyway - wondering what they'll be going home to.

I blame the telly.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Firstly,I feel badly about whats goin on in London.I was there in 2000,and found the British people as a whole warm and genuine,and the city of London just amazing.We took the underground(mind the gap) everywhere and being from New York city,it was a refreshing change.

I too remember the riots of the late 60's 70's in New York.The New York and L.A. riots in the 90'.As a former NYC correction officer,and a retired NYPD detective,My recollection of rioting is somewhat...vivid,being involved in several through out my career.

It all starts out as a protest against injustice or oppression, and to show how outraged these people are,..they have to burn cars/buildings and steal everything thats not nailed down..and somehow....because the're angry.....thats ok.Its ok to burn and steal from those who have worked a lifetime to build a business.Its ok to assault those who had nothing to do with the primary issue.And then complain when the police try to stop them using non lethal force,because thats what the majority of the citizenry want them to do.

I do not dismiss this behavior as "oh....i'm sorry, it was just that I was swept up in the mob mentality...I didn't mean to steal the 40" flat screen..I was just angry.The police violated a known/previously convicted drug deals rights.They should have let him shoot at least one of them first,before returning fire.So I set fire to a store and took this TV.He has now been avenged"

Ok ..sorry for the rant but i've been there, so I feel badly for my British brethren that have to put up with thugs and cowards who will seize any opportunity for an easy,unearned dollar.

Ok..rant over.

Steve B

Last edited:
Timeless discrimination against these PEOPLE, would it be the main cause for their unleashed fury? While government and monarchy are just seating behind their nice and cozy desks.

Now it seems to be spreading across most of the poorer areas of the cities across england where people dont really get heard by the government, they say its their way of finally being heard, which is bull, theyre just using it as an opportunity to get free stuff!!

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
So sad guys. It's just insane. It's hard to believe the images I've been seeing for three days now are from the UK. What a disgrace.

Hope all your homes, businesses, properties and posessions are still in good order.

Did you watch any of the Australia vs. Sri Lanka Twenty20? I'm not a Twenty20 fan but it was refreshing to see the Aussies on the wrong end of some leg spin for a change.
Oh how the mighty have fallen. ;-)

M

mediocrefunkybeat

PFOG - I make no bones about my dislike of the Aussie cricketers! Particularly Ricky Ponting. Didn't get to see his sad face though.

Redfern

I live in a poor area and I'm not rioting. There is no justification for this.
Sorry if it came across as me trying to justify any of it, i didnt mean it that way, i was only quoting what ive seen on the news :)
Theres definately no excuse for any of whats happened and its not quite the same walking through Croydon (my home town) anymore now thats its burned and smashed.

It seems the massive influx of police sent out last night has done the trick though.Hopefully the riotings over now and luckily the communities have been pulled closer together from it all as they are all banding together to clean up whats been damaged :).

Boomka

Platinum Member
Some good-ish news about the Rockbottom story: for those who don't know, Colin Woolway runs Drumsense (www.drumsense.com) out of the first floor of the Rockbottom building/store. All reports he's had are that his studio/office are intact and all of his stuff is still there.

Colin is a great educator and a hell of a good guy. He's contributed a lot to the education and clinic scene in the UK, both openly and behind the scenes and many of you may have seen his educational material in Rhythm Magazine. It's my hope that he won't be adversely affected by this nonsense and can carry on doing his good work for the drumming community.

Caz

I'm in one of the regions which was hit on Monday - most of the shops on the main street have been smashed up and looted and the police station was attacked too. I went out yesterday to help with the community organised cleanup (which lots of people participated in around London to show support) but then a few hours later it kicked off again and I've been indoors since. On my way back some crazy old guy ran at me with a traffic cone thinking I was a looter, and then put it down next to a pile of newspapers he thought I was trying to steal (?????). The scariest part was that people started looting and setting fire to peoples homes as well as shops. Due to the enhanced police presence it seems to have fizzled out in these parts, though it's morning and I can still hear police sirens. I'm going to venture outside again to see if any of the shops have reopened and hopefully buy some food.

I'm not even going to attempt to offer political opinions on this - I just hope everyone is ok and that it all ends soon. If any young people reading this are considering going out with their mates, even just to see what's going on, I would really strongly advise you just to stay at home and not get involved - it got very ugly very quickly here. I've been in Japan for the last 3 months and only got back to London a few days ago - to see people senselessly trashing their own communities is absolutely heartbreaking, particularly after seeing the solidarity shown in Japan after the earthquake.

Caroline

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I'm in one of the regions which was hit on Monday - most of the shops on the main street have been smashed up and looted and the police station was attacked too. I went out yesterday to help with the community organised cleanup (which lots of people participated in around London to show support) but then a few hours later it kicked off again and I've been indoors since. On my way back some crazy old guy ran at me with a traffic cone thinking I was a looter, and then put it down next to a pile of newspapers he thought I was trying to steal (?????). The scariest part was that people started looting and setting fire to peoples homes as well as shops. Due to the enhanced police presence it seems to have fizzled out in these parts, though it's morning and I can still hear police sirens. I'm going to venture outside again to see if any of the shops have reopened and hopefully buy some food.

I'm not even going to attempt to offer political opinions on this - I just hope everyone is ok and that it all ends soon. If any young people reading this are considering going out with their mates, even just to see what's going on, I would really strongly advise you just to stay at home and not get involved - it got very ugly very quickly here. I've been in Japan for the last 3 months and only got back to London a few days ago - to see people senselessly trashing their own communities is absolutely heartbreaking, particularly after seeing the solidarity shown in Japan after the earthquake.

Caroline
What a lovely post Caroline. I hope you can keep away from this stuff. Stay safe.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Ok, just come to this thread. Posted this on a similar thread on this forum. It applies equally here, so I'll copy/paste it:

Mini rant;

"Disaffected youth" is the term used by the softie PC brigade. Yeah right! I was dragged up out of an orphanage on the dock road of Liverpool, & I didn't go round shitting in my own nest! When will these spoilt little scroungers learn that, even if you're a homeless guy in the UK, you're still in the top 10% of the most wealthy citizens on this planet.

I often hear "well, they're bored" as an excuse for their lack of self control. They're bored, because they're not starving! If they were constantly hungry (i.e. like half the planet), they wouldn't have time to be bored, they'd be consumed with the task of keeping themselves alive. These idiots need a dose of world reality, not "reality TV"!!!

Sorry, end of mini rant.

This is nothing to do with disconnection, or the rich, or the government. It's a being too comfortable, being a petty criminal, being an arsehole, & having zero respect for the country that keeps you from starving thing.

Bloody PC softies, that's why these vermin have got away with it for so long. Get in there with the rubber bullets. Take their legs out, then make them wait a few days for medical attention that they've never paid into. Once that's done, make the little shits repair the damage they caused, at their cost, for life if necessary.

Witterings

Silver Member
Bloody PC softies, that's why these vermin have got away with it for so long. Get in there with the rubber bullets. Take their legs out, then make them wait a few days for medical attention that they've never paid into. Once that's done, make the little shits repair the damage they caused, at their cost, for life if necessary.
Totally agree with this !!!!!

If you think back to our origins and where we come from - in reality we're simply sophisticated animals - to survive animals hunt for food. The best hunters had the most to eat, the poor hunters had less and those animals that weren't prepared to get off their asses and do anything for themselves simply died !!!
If you're not p-repared to get off your ass, get a job and stop spunging off everybody else let the fuckers starve !!!!!!!
The thanks we get from these people so they can spunge off the rest of us is they destroy our community no doubt making the majority of decent people living in those areas shit scared and intimidated !!
WRONG totally, totally WRONG !!!

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I don't know whether I am more frightened of rioters, or of my peers asking for martial law to be declared. This all seems to be playing into the hands of certain people for whom the riots are politically expedient.

AtomicFlapjack

Sorry to hear about that OP!
I was very surprised when I got up this morning to find out a building near me had been burnt down last night. Things like this just don't happen where I live, in a tiny village in Devon. Who knows what can happen now..