Rock songs at 110bpm

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Hi guys, I wonder if you can help me out. One of my bands has a song at 110bpm and I've never felt I could come up with a satisfactory groove for it. It's at an odd place between slow and fast, and it's very much a straight-ahead part, so I want to get it just right. What I'm wondering is if you can tell me other rock or metal songs at about this tempo so I can get a feel for playing different things at that tempo, as I wonder if it might be a weak area of mine.
Ideally classic rock things as it's got that sort of feel (despite not being a classic rock song).

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
We Can Work It Out by the Beatles is about 105, put a little edge on that and you've got 110. :)

Bermuda

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Ben, you obviously have enough to go on with there. Great way of getting your head around a tempo - I might steal that. Be good if you followed up with how it went.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Someone recently posted a list of famous songs at pretty much every tempo from slow to fast in 5 bpm increments. I forget what thread it was in but you could search for it. I thought it was a great idea for a reverse way of figuring out tempos. There's some memorization involved but you're familiarity with the song you've heard a hundred times helps a lot. You just think of the famous song and remember what bpm it's associated with and you have a pretty good shot of hitting the tempo if someone calls it out.

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
Several of those just don't seem to feel like that tempo. We must play Mustang Sally much slower. I would never have guessed that Rhinestone Cowboy or Midnight Hour would be that tempo.

larryz

Platinum Member
Good ol' Glen Campbell - one of my favorites. "I know every crack in these dirty sidewalks of _________ [fill in name of town in which you're giggin]"

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Wow, thanks guys, you have been busy! I can't believe I didn't think of Immigrant Song, I've been playing that a lot recently (left-footed) anyway for a left foot workout (with not inconsiderable success, as it happens).

PQleyR

Platinum Member
If anyone's interested to hear what I'm talking about, this is the song that I want to get better at playing. I made the recording earlier this year so I'd like to think I'm already better at playing it, but I've never totally had a part I was comfortable with. Perhaps you have some suggestions!

kettles

Gold Member
Nice playing man! couldn't fault it. On a creative level I would use more double kick rolls earlier in the song, some floor tom riding (with 8ths on the hats) and also break up the 2+4 backbeats in small doses.