RIP John Bonham

JohnW

Silver Member
And all this time I thought I was alone. I recall exactly where I was when both Keith Moon and John Bonham died. I can't believe it was 33 years ago since Bonham's death. I'm 47 now, and to think he made such a musical statement during his 20s (he died in his early 30s, right?). I feel like an under-achiever :(
And yes, I remember where I was when I heard Keith Moon died as well. In my kitchen when my brother came downstairs and said, "Guess what happened to Keith Moon?". Well, I guessed it correctly. He was my idol and that one hit me harder than Bonham. For a long time. Although Bonham's death certainly put a damper on things. And less than 3 months later John Lennon...

And 47? Underachiever?!? You're like a fine wine, Bo.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
I was very fortunate to see them in 77 in Cleveland. Three solid hour show and the only breeak was for guitar changes. I was 19 at the time and had been playing drums for 14 years. I felt like I did not have a clue after seeing him in person.

I got the feeling that he did not think about drumming technically, MUSIC just came from his body. I realize that is not true but he was able to go to a place few really can. He is not my favorite drummer from a style perspective, but he is one of my favorites in terms of feel and providing a unique and extremely solid base for some unique and well orchestrated music, done by some of the best musicians of the rock era.

I feel very presumptuous trying to play some of his stuff. RIP Bonzo!

T

The Old Hyde

And all this time I thought I was alone. I recall exactly where I was when both Keith Moon and John Bonham died. I can't believe it was 33 years ago since Bonham's death. I'm 47 now, and to think he made such a musical statement during his 20s (he died in his early 30s, right?). I feel like an under-achiever :(
32 years old Bo. I think about that a lot. for such an amazing body of work and span of albums and tours, those were just a bunch of 20 year olds. he was 25 when they did the MSG shows for song remains the same. Crazy.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member

opentune

Platinum Member
We were getting tickets to their fall show in Detroit. Had seen them in 1977.
I woke up that morning, turned on the radio and heard the awful news. A sick feeling. First was Moonie, now him.

B-squared

Silver Member
When I heard the news, I was at a local public radio station where a friend of mine hosted a reggae show. I actually saw the story come out of the old teletype machine at the station. If I had been able to keep the teletype - technically it belonged to the station - it would probably sell on ebay today.

T

The Old Hyde

ill never forget being told in the morning at my locker in school. it seemed everyone sought out the drummer to tell the news to. I didn't know how to react, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

JohnW

Silver Member
Thanks for posting this. At the time of his death I was a freshman in college in Waterville, ME and a bunch of us were going to score tickets to Zeppelin's upcoming show in Montreal. We would camp outside one of the ticket agencies in Portland (about an hour + south) or even Boston. Whatever rumor about where and when to get tickets (usually through the grapevine of deadheads on campus) we were ready to pounce on it!

And then I remember being outside when someone told me the news.

It was a going to be a very sad year in the world of rock.

Vegas Island

RIP to the most influential rock drummer of all time, John Bonham. His music will always live in all of us! That is a gift to us all!

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
33 years. I forgot about this until I saw the thread.

This and the death of John Lennon were defining, profound moments in my life.

Bonzobilly

Here, here! To many things I love about the man. It's an all encompassing love......I think it's sick, actually, how much I love him...lol

Torkerz

John Bonham died on this day in 1980.

As a tribute to John, please share all your favorite tracks, albums, pictures, videos, even favorite technique! Everything that is the late great John Bonham is welcome!

My favorite has to be that right foot! And let's not forget the awesome solo in Moby Dick! RIP John