Ringo

shadowtick

Hi folks......

I was born in 1967 and missed the beatles the first time around, so they never were a big influence on my playing. Lately the boys and I have been fooling around with some beatles songs, and having a great time with it. Some excellent songs.

Ive noticed that every drummer seems to have a few things that they do, that if one masters those, the feel of the songs just gets better.. for example bonham with the broken triplets, or peart with the triplets on the bell of the ride...

To those who have studied the beatles, what elements do you keep in mind when playing those songs......... what is it that makes Ringo, Ringo?

Hope this question makes sense............ being just a casual beatles fan, and only playing the songs a few times through, I am trying to developp a ringoesque feel. Any suggestions?

larryz

Platinum Member
Hi there. My favorite Ringo/Beatles tunes are:

Rain
Come Together
Sgt. Peppers/Little Help From My Friends
Ticket to Ride

There are so many. Ringo's one of the great underrated drummers. Not just a mop top.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Ringo doesn't crash a lot. IMO, he plays less notes than most. Sometimes he doesn't ride on anything. When he does fill (at least sometimes) he starts them left handed.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Todd mentioned that his riding is often much lighter than bass drum and snare. Larry talked about the absence of riding at times (not easy to get the beat to sit, doing that).

What makes those approaches work so well is that he mixes it up with strong riding. I enjoy the way Ringo changes the textures of his beats in different sections of the songs, and in a distinctive way. Best example of that IMO is Let It Be.

In the early days he was more standard RnR - lots of loud, washy riding. The sparseness came in later.

As for his fills, they were often based more on the vocal line than the usual approach of playing them at the end of 4/6/16/32 bars in transitions. No one knows how much of it was his intuition and how much came from Paul's and John's instructions.

Last edited:

KBadd

Silver Member
You want the Ringo? You WANT The RINGO?? CAN you handle the RINGO??? Listen to Sgt Peppers on "side 1" and THEN Sgt Peppers Reprise on "side 2". You will have the Ringo. Good luck!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Ringo is known for his backbeat and solid time keeping. Basic things to learn for any drummer.

denisri

Silver Member
Solid Time! Big musical fills? Tops at supporting others in the band.....backing vocals and leads. Denis

nickg

Silver Member
playing for the song and not trying to be the STAR of the song....a concept that is lost on some drummers today....."HEY..i got a double kick and can play really fast so look at ME!!!"

aydee

Platinum Member

One of the most unsung aspects of Ringo's playing is that he created of so many memorable drum parts.

Beatles music is littered with many fantastic and unique drum parts. Not just nice generic grooves, but individual rhythms which custom fit the song. So yea, RIngo, in addition to having his one groovy vibe was also compositionally very strong, like Bonham, Peart, Garibaldi, Gadd, and dare I say, Keith Moon.

Last edited:

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
So yea, RIngo, in addition to having his one groovy vibe was also compositionally very strong, like ... dare I say, Keith Moon.
Yes, you may dare say as far as I'm concerned :) Moonie's created some memorable drum parts. And so has Ringo ... Come Together, Rain, Getting Better, ADITL, Don't Let Me Down, Let it Be, Rain, Strawberry Fields, Ticket to Ride, TNK ...

Yet my favourite Ringo drum part wasn't even with the Beatles ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-spAA9aLN0 ... whatta vibe!

larryz

Platinum Member
Lots of the Beatles songs had overdubbed instruments, vocals, including drums.
With all due respect, I'm not sure what you mean by your statement and what your reference source is?

As far as my knowledge of Beatles history, they used only a 4-track recorder up to and including Sgt. Pepper's album (June 1967). They didn't really technologically catch up with the times until their final LP Abbey Road.

Are you saying that Ringo's playing isn't all that great and that things could have dubbed over and over to get the right sound? I'm lost... :)

D

Doctor Dirt

After listening to the Beatles all these years and remembering their debut on the Ed Sullivan show I find it hard to believe that anyone would could consider Ringo a "great" drummer but then again I find it hard to believe that anyone but Ringo could "fit" the Beatles any better. They had a few fellows in the group as kids and had their hearts set on Ringo so that says alot for Ringo. The producers brought in other studio drummers (allan white) thinking that Ringo didn't fit the bill on some tunes but again he won out. He is unique in many ways and the obvious being a lefty sittin behind a right handed set up and basicly playing right handed yet leading alot of his fills with his left hand. That alone is very unique and some pretty good drummers would have to work on emulating that technique.
He sure beats the crap out of listening to Charlie Watts play the exact same thing for 45 years on just about every song. Now theres a group I can visualize alot of drummers in and they could have used a musical focal point because no one in in that group has outstanding talent on their instruments. Saw them 3 or 4 times since the early 60s and without Jagger being a good front man there'd be no reason to stay and listen to these guys play Chuck Berry tunes about as bad as anyone I ever heard. Thank god for take 2 and on in a studio, live their weak at best. Am I ranting? damn I am! Lunch time. Doc

S

sticks4drums

After listening to the Beatles all these years and remembering their debut on the Ed Sullivan show I find it hard to believe that anyone would could consider Ringo a "great" drummer but then again I find it hard to believe that anyone but Ringo could "fit" the Beatles any better. They had a few fellows in the group as kids and had their hearts set on Ringo so that says alot for Ringo. The producers brought in other studio drummers (allan white) thinking that Ringo didn't fit the bill on some tunes but again he won out. He is unique in many ways and the obvious being a lefty sittin behind a right handed set up and basicly playing right handed yet leading alot of his fills with his left hand. That alone is very unique and some pretty good drummers would have to work on emulating that technique.
He sure beats the crap out of listening to Charlie Watts play the exact same thing for 45 years on just about every song. Now theres a group I can visualize alot of drummers in and they could have used a musical focal point because no one in in that group has outstanding talent on their instruments. Saw them 3 or 4 times since the early 60s and without Jagger being a good front man there'd be no reason to stay and listen to these guys play Chuck Berry tunes about as bad as anyone I ever heard. Thank god for take 2 and on in a studio, live their weak at best. Am I ranting? damn I am! Lunch time. Doc
Good post I liked it.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
With all due respect, I'm not sure what you mean by your statement and what your reference source is?

As far as my knowledge of Beatles history, they used only a 4-track recorder up to and including Sgt. Pepper's album (June 1967). They didn't really technologically catch up with the times until their final LP Abbey Road.

Are you saying that Ringo's playing isn't all that great and that things could have dubbed over and over to get the right sound? I'm lost... :)

They did use a four track recorder but at times would put the first three tracks onto the fourth track, mixed, then re-record the first three tracks. I saw this on a Paul McCartney special where he showed the exact equipment they used. There was some dubbing but certainly not up to todays standard.

tamadrm

Platinum Member

I think he may believe that nonsense about Bernard Purdies claim about playing on all those Beatle albums,which is total BS.If you knew anything about 4 track recording,and the way the Beatles and George Martin used 4 track,you would know also that Purdies claims are excentric at best.When using 4 track,you get "bleeding"into the other tracks so there is no way to take a master tape and completely erase a track.You will always hear some of the original recording on the other guitar or vocal tracks.Purdie claims the tapes were brought by "special messenger" to a secret studio in New York, where he recorded the drum tracks.Really??? The guy needs to stay on his meds,because his alien friends will be coming for him soon.While I acknowledge Purdie is a great drummer,Ringo was great in the studio also,and as for George Martin using Allen White for the "Love Me Do",single,Ringo plays on the Album.Martin has over the years apologized numerous times to Ringo,both in public and in private for his initialal lack of faith in his skills.

Larryz is quite correct,and hogdaddy is a little unclear in his post.

Steve B

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I have said that about a few drummers,especially Ringo over the years.The 'fit"was perfect,especially later on.On Sgt. Peppers his drumming is epic.I'm not saying its the pinnacle of technical drumming,but is is a lesson in taste and musical drumming,which Ringo has demonstrated numerous times over the years,and on every tune he plays on..

I can't think of Rush without Peart,or the Who without Moonie,Zep without Bonham,Deep Purple without Paice.The list can go on. The point is,none of these bands would have achieved their level of success without their drummers unique style and what they brought to the party.The Beatles without Ringo?

Steve B