Ringo Drumming Live - Compilation

Mustion

Never really watched him drum before, funny enough.

I like his side-by-side sweeping technique when he plays the hat. Is that a thing?

One of the wide shots in that video shows the audience going totally berserk. That must have been such an experience.

I like his side-by-side sweeping technique when he plays the hat. Is that a thing?
He's the only one I've ever seen really do it, other than when people are imitating him or occasionally covering an early Beatles tune. It's a fun technique and definitely gives a nice swingy feel, but in my experience, it can also become a habit really easily.

I thought I recalled his drums being quite small on those early tours--which would account in part for how high he appears to be sitting--but I just checked out a gear page and it claims the bass is 20", so I guess he really did just sit really high.

johnwesley

Silver Member
I sit tall on my kit too. Makes me feel more in control. Mentioned before I saw the Beatles in August 66 in their last American concert at Candlestick Park San Francisco. They played an impressive 23 minutes!!! But they did get 14 songs in. Or maybe it was 12.

BTW.....look at the price of the ticket

Attachments

Last edited:

newoldie

Silver Member
This is the great B J Wilson. They do things in the extreme in England. LOL

That's really high up. Although the Gene Krupa, Louis Bellson and even some Buddy Rich videos show that they also sat pretty high up relative to the snare drum, and with their elbows held high . You'd think the stick rebound would be greater sitting waist high to the snare, but all these guys had incredible rebound-- so what works for the masses might not be relevant to the greats.

Bonham to the moon

As I've gotten older, I've become more and more inclined to respect restraint and finesse over the octopus throwing around blinding fast chops. It's impossible to hear a Beatles song and not want to start moving around. That's the mark of a great drummer.

Peedy

As I've gotten older, I've become more and more inclined to respect restraint and finesse over the octopus throwing around blinding fast chops. It's impossible to hear a Beatles song and not want to start moving around. That's the mark of a great drummer.
Wise words indeed. 100% with you on both statements.

Pete

ricky

I am amazed at how high he sat. His seat is higher than his snare.
He's the only one I've ever seen really do it, other than when people are imitating him or occasionally covering an early Beatles tune. It's a fun technique and definitely gives a nice swingy feel, but in my experience, it can also become a habit really easily.

I thought I recalled his drums being quite small on those early tours--which would account in part for how high he appears to be sitting--but I just checked out a gear page and it claims the bass is 20", so I guess he really did just sit really high.
I think part of the reason, or maybe all the reason, from what I have read,

was so that you could see him better.

Ringo was a "Starr"!