Rhythm and melody, two different diciplines?

haredrums

Silver Member
Hey Everyone,

I'm sorry to dig this old conversation back up, but also not. Still probably my favorite example of productive online conversation.

A couple of things for you Larry:

1. It seems like you were making awesome progress with your soloing. How is that going?

2. It only took a couple of years, but I finally have a good recording of myself playing an explicitly melodic solo that still has some groove. I thought a lot about what you said about what makes you like some solos and not others. One thing you said that really stuck with me was that you felt like solos like "For Big Sid" with a clear melody lose you because they didn't have a clear underlying groove. I think that partly because of that I challenged myself to come up with a drum solo arrangement that did BOTH. That is, clearly stated the melody while maintaining a groove. Here is what I came up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMdcxIFCrLM

BTW Todd, I think that you are blog post is the clearest and best I have read. Thanks for that!

Hope you all are doing well!

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
Hey Everyone,

I'm sorry to dig this old conversation back up, but also not. Still probably my favorite example of productive online conversation.

A couple of things for you Larry:

1. It seems like you were making awesome progress with your soloing. How is that going?

2. It only took a couple of years, but I finally have a good recording of myself playing an explicitly melodic solo that still has some groove. I thought a lot about what you said about what makes you like some solos and not others. One thing you said that really stuck with me was that you felt like solos like "For Big Sid" with a clear melody lose you because they didn't have a clear underlying groove. I think that partly because of that I challenged myself to come up with a drum solo arrangement that did BOTH. That is, clearly stated the melody while maintaining a groove. Here is what I came up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMdcxIFCrLM

BTW Todd, I think that you are blog post is the clearest and best I have read. Thanks for that!

Hope you all are doing well!
That solo was serious my friend. I could totally hear and sing the tune through it. Very well done.

Now you just need to add some double bass and stick flips and you'll be set! ;)