Revolutionary cymbal choking technique ;)

Haha, that's exactly what we do for drummers in the studio choking a larger cymbal. Some of them you almost have to throw a blanket over them to get them to not ring over the silent part.

Keep it simple,

How much extra pay does a guitarist with that skill command? I want one :)
:) In something compact like a trio, getting the other two players to choke your cymbals at the end of a song works well as a bit of stage show IMO.

Haha, that's exactly what we do for drummers in the studio choking a larger cymbal. Some of them you almost have to throw a blanket over them to get them to not ring over the silent part.
Yeah, that 24" paper thin china is a choke nightmare (of the best possible kind :)

Just get Buck Nelson's patented Gorilla Grip® and this won't be an issue any more!
Love it - want one. I think the trio singer/guitarist is a much more attractive option though ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently auditioned for a project ( I don't know why they are called projects now, I liked it when they were called bands ). All was going well until the guitar player thought it would be fun to not help me choke the cymbal but crash it with the headstock of his guitar! Ahhhhhh. My new hhx evolution crash. Keep clear of my cymbals you guitar players. You don't see me helping you strum.

Awwwwww, how cute! .................
Indeed :)

I recently auditioned for a project ( I don't know why they are called projects now, I liked it when they were called bands ). All was going well until the guitar player thought it would be fun to not help me choke the cymbal but crash it with the headstock of his guitar! Ahhhhhh. My new hhx evolution crash. Keep clear of my cymbals you guitar players. You don't see me helping you strum.
Yes, errand headstocks are to be discouraged, although in most cases, it's the guitar that comes off worse :)

I've seen this before somewhere.

In a time called 1981
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2onqLb9Eps#t=92

:p
Ok, you got me Ian. Not revolutionary at all, just dug up!

Genuinely, this was spontaneous. I was causing some amusement by trying to choke off three cymbals at the end of the song (y'know, the arms across the cymbals thing), so on another run through, they decided to help out. I think that will stay in the show. Why not eh?

This is the new original material trio I'm involved in. The singer/songwriter/guitarist being the solo act with myself & the bassist employed as backing players. It's a difficult gig for me. I'm absolutely out of my comfort zone on this material, & that's exactly why I took the gig. Great players to work with though, so I think it's going to be fun :)

Actually its kinda nice given how you were in a self confessed feeling of being "out of your comfort zone" ..... kinda "youre part of the band" move by the other 2 !!

Especially the singer / guitarist who "employed" you...not up herself at all ( she even had a smile on her face ) which is great.

Seems you fit in as far as they ( she) is concerned no matter what you feel about if you "belong" !!

Actually its kinda nice given how you were in a self confessed feeling of being "out of your comfort zone" ..... kinda "youre part of the band" move by the other 2 !!

Especially the singer / guitarist who "employed" you...not up herself at all ( she even had a smile on her face ) which is great.

Seems you fit in as far as they ( she) is concerned no matter what you feel about if you "belong" !!
Yes, I very much picked up on that, & it felt good :) Still struggling on this one though, but I'll get there.

That music is pretty bad ass. Can I hear more? Love the stripped down rock feel and how opposite it is from your other high-maintenance rock getup.

That music is pretty bad ass. Can I hear more? Love the stripped down rock feel and how opposite it is from your other high-maintenance rock getup.
Thanks Doc. I don't have anything really. It's only the 3rd rehearsal this coming Friday, so it's all pretty new & disjointed right now. Weird material, really difficult to settle any groove due to almost constant urgency. Nothing like a classic power trio approach. I'm really enjoying the challenge though.

on my practice kit, we call the 24 inch Paiste 2002 "the ride of doom". after each song its still buzzing along by itself and the bass player always grabs it.

Good to see some teamwork going on! Seems like they are comfortable with you :)

At one stage we were practicing Dr Who with me playing the bass with brushes while our bassist made the notes. It sounded pretty good but we decided it was too much trouble, given that it also sounded okay with drums.

on my practice kit, we call the 24 inch Paiste 2002 "the ride of doom". after each song its still buzzing along by itself and the bass player always grabs it.
My 24" paper thin china carries the same reputation :)

Good to see some teamwork going on! Seems like they are comfortable with you :)

At one stage we were practicing Dr Who with me playing the bass with brushes while our bassist made the notes. It sounded pretty good but we decided it was too much trouble, given that it also sounded okay with drums.
They do seem quite comfortable, which is nice after only two rehearsals, & given it's a solo project plus backing musicians situation :)

Back