Restoring Some Vintage Drums

jodgey4

Silver Member
No pictures today, because I don't have time, but recently a friend of mine's dad let me have some of his old drum gear to clean up to use for gigs and such. I got what appears to be a mid 60's Rogers set in a silver sparkle, with a 20" bass, 12" rack, and 16" floor. There's a Ludwig Supraphonic, 5" deep, Keystone badge serial number 122201, so I think it's a '64 or '65. There's an old Slingerland snare that I need to look into, I'll attach pictures. Finally, the guy who owned these said that the spurs on the Rogers bass drum didn't work so well, so he gave me a 20" Pearl bass drum. The wrap on it is horrendous, and the Rogers spurs work just fine, so I won't be using the Pearl, but one of the Rogers hoops is on it and needs to be switched back. He bought all the drums when he was a kid - I think both the Pearl and Rogers sets - and set up a double bass kit, then sold the rest. The rest of the Pearl kit I don't have with me but it's a 13" rack and 14" floor.

Also there was a box of cymbals, all from about that time period it would seem. A Zildjian 20" ride, 18" Ludwig by Paiste crash, 16" Zildjian crash with rivets, 14" New Beats, a very thin 14" Zildjian with a crack, and a new Meinl 14" Filter China. Sorry, but I did clean the 18" Paiste, he said that it sounds better clean.

I've taken apart all of the Rogers drums and the Ludwig snare, and I am soaking the hardware overnight, I cleaned the snare shell by hand, and tomorrow I should be putting it all back together, after I Windex the wraps on the Rogers and then put a layer of wax over them.

Also, I got an old Ludwig hi-hat stand with a Yamaha clutch that I replaced with an old Ludwig clutch I got in a box of parts from when I bought some mid 60's Speed Kings, so it looks original. I also got a WFL snare stand, and a newer Yamaha cymbal stand that's nice and light!

I'll post pictures ASAP, and I'll keep this updated as much as possible. And yes, I did play them, and despite the fact that I spent almost no time tuning them (they had been in an attic for years), and the fact that almost every head was old, very used, and not matching, they sounded great!

larryz

Platinum Member
You're kidding right? The person just gave this treasure trove to you free and clear? If so, awesome. Yeah photos will only confirm this score of the year. Thanks.

jodgey4

Silver Member
The Supra is all back together, it sounds fantastic! The rest of the parts are drying, and I still have some to scrub for the Rogers. Hopefully I'll finish tomorrow.
The first picture is the kit set up before cleaning, I wish you could've smelled the pillow in the bass drum! The second picture is the Pearl bass drum - the wrap is in pretty bad condition. Third and fourth are Supra before and after pictures. Fifth is some ply separation on the 16" reinforcement ring, and it is glued, clamped and drying. Sixth is the Slingerland snare, the wrap is pretty aged, there's a beetle or two in between the shell and rim, and itsays May 22 1958 in the inside - very old!. All Rogers edges are in perfect condition.

I've decided to go with Aquarian Modern Vintages for batters, and single ply Texture Coated resos all around for the Rogers. The ancient Remo Coated Pinstripe will stay on the Supra, and the Slingerland will need an American Vintage set of heads, I believe.
I won't be doing anything to the Pearl bass drum at this point, except for playing it!

I am very proud to have this kit. I've learned a lot already. Also, for my birthday last Monday, I got the friends old Roc 'n Soc. The whole family has been great to me.

Attachments

Last edited:

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Beautful drums.That Slingerland snare I'm pretty sure is a Super Gene Krupa model.Same drum as the Radio King,and it should have a 1 ply steam bent maple shell.Very collectable,and they sound great,but that "clam shell" strainer can be a little finicky.Still,it's not called radio king in the late 50's early 60's catalog,but it's the same drum.If it's a 13" drum,its worth even more.The badge looks to be a late chicago badge,so 58 is about right.You have some very nice,sounding ,and collectable drums there.It seems you hit the mother load.;)

Steve B

larryz

Platinum Member
Thanks for posting the photos (none of the beetles?). These drums, etc. look like weeks of cleaning pleasure and fun. The roc n soc is icing on the cake. You owe the guy a big hug and kiss.

jodgey4

Silver Member
Haha. I still paid $80 for the seat. For the snare, it must be a 14" Gene Krupa, I'm surprised I didn't notice when I was inspecting it that it had a one-ply shell. I'm really excited to have it, now! It has some old "Everplay" head on top if I'm reading it correctly, must be very old. I'm going to measure, but I think I will need the over sized American Vintage heads for this drum. Also, it needs new wires - will these work - http://www.amazon.com/PureSound-Vintage-Series-Slingerland-Strand/dp/B004AM5HNY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331251027&sr=8-1 ?

Also, the 12" and 16" are finished, the 20" should be done tonight. It's taking about 2-3 hours per drum to polish the shells, hardware, and to reassemble them. Lots of work still to go!

Edit: All Rogers drums are now finished! Pictures hopefully tomorrow!

Last edited:

jodgey4

Silver Member
Turns out the 20" ride is actually a 21". Never noticed until putting it in a bag next to my 21" Agop. I'm having trouble getting the screws out of the Slingerland, there's some 'Liquid Wrench' working on it right now. I don't know if I'll be able to get the lugs off. I'll be getting new Puresound wires, and American Vintage heads for it soon.

EDIT: The 16" crash is actually a 17".

Last edited:

harryconway

Platinum Member
Super cool looking kit. Great sound. I've played those Rogers 5 ply shells. Very nice. Those swivo spurs, they do all right, as long as you're not kicking like "The Hulk". And nowdays, almost all good pedals have velcro floor plates (sometimes too much velcro) so bass drum creep ain't the curse it once was (back when there were no floor plates, just over sized coat hanger wire frames). That'll make a great classic rock or jazz kit. Actually, lots of applications. In fact, darn near anything but "metal". That 20, 12, 16 combo is a cool group of sizes.​

Last edited:

jodgey4

Silver Member
I finished painting the bass drum hoops recently, and got all the new heads needed. Pictures later.

jodgey4

Silver Member
I had to give some cymbals back so the owner could play a gig, and my other cymbals are at a friends, so I've been using a XS20 14" Medium Thin Crash under a Alpha 14" Thin Crash for hats, the Agop ride, and I just pulled out the B8 16" Medium Crash, poured salt and vinegar on it, left it over night, and I'm using that. It sounds less harsh unlike it's appearance, and darker and dryer.
Anyways, new heads, painted hoops, yadda yadda yadda. DONE with this kit, except for getting a tom arm.

Attachments

larryz

Platinum Member
Amazing restoration. Wonderful. Would be nice if someone in the drum world with money and a good business sense could revive the Rogers brand into the elite status it once was.

P

PDPx7Drummer

That turned out incredibly well!! Wow! Good job and congrats! I also like that rustic or weathered look you created on that B8! Very fitting man.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Very nice job. Restoring old drums is really a fantastic way of spending your time. You've managed to retain the originality which is something I tend not to do but I haven't restored any 'valuable' drums - only cheaper and less desirable sets. Very nice indeed. I hope it sounds as good as it looks.