Rescuing Yamaha Gadd Birch

TheJarvis

I have to say even though it was at a low price this 14” Gadd Birch I knew it needed some work but man it was rough.

Shell was ok but some deep scratches near the badge still need some work but the grime, gunge and overall condition was terrible.

Two stage paint correction with two layers of a wax sealant, all chrome polished and serviced, hoops powder coated and new heads and wires installed means it’s back in action. Still waiting on new washers but installed some Hendrix Sleeved washers to keep the coating in new condition.

Killer job, I hope you get a good price for it now it looks and sounds mint! :) (y)
Thanks brother, I wanted to keep it but I must keep to the plan and put it on the market, also I have too much tied up in drums 🤣

Very nice resto job and a killer sounding snare.

I have to say even though it was at a low price this 14” Gadd Birch I knew it needed some work but man it was rough.

Shell was ok but some deep scratches near the badge still need some work but the grime, gunge and overall condition was terrible.

Two stage paint correction with two layers of a wax sealant, all chrome polished and serviced, hoops powder coated and new heads and wires installed means it’s back in action. Still waiting on new washers but installed some Hendrix Sleeved washers to keep the coating in new condition.

Cool. Glad you were able to save it. I had a similar experience with a Craviotto Walnut 6.5 snare. The idiot I bought it from on CL had trashed it from treating it so poorly. It had deep scratches and at one point, he put duct tape all over it. When trying to get it off he used Goof-off and sand paper to remove the residue, thereby ruining the finish on the shell and the chrome finish on many of the lugs. I bought it because it was a signed drum and deserved an attempt to save it. I paid 450 bucks for it, not knowing if it could be fixed or how much it might cost to fix. Totally out of my abilities, I called Craviotto and they agreed to try to save it. Sam Bacco steamed out most of the gouges and scratches. Only a few remain visible. He then redid the snare beds ( I guess he wasn't happy with the original ones. He didn't tell me why. ), checked the edges, and totally refinished the drum. With some new lugs and other hardware, It came back to me as if it was a new drum. FYI, he was kind enough to do this for free, as they wanted to save the drum also. All I had to pay for was the hardware replacement and the shipping. Sam did a wonderful job and it sounds awesome!

Cool. Glad you were able to save it. I had a similar experience with a Craviotto Walnut 6.5 snare. The idiot I bought it from on CL had trashed it from treating it so poorly. It had deep scratches and at one point, he put duct tape all over it. When trying to get it off he used Goof-off and sand paper to remove the residue, thereby ruining the finish on the shell and the chrome finish on many of the lugs. I bought it because it was a signed drum and deserved an attempt to save it. I paid 450 bucks for it, not knowing if it could be fixed or how much it might cost to fix. Totally out of my abilities, I called Craviotto and they agreed to try to save it. Sam Bacco steamed out most of the gouges and scratches. Only a few remain visible. He then redid the snare beds ( I guess he wasn't happy with the original ones. He didn't tell me why. ), checked the edges, and totally refinished the drum. With some new lugs and other hardware, It came back to me as if it was a new drum. FYI, he was kind enough to do this for free, as they wanted to save the drum also. All I had to pay for was the hardware replacement and the shipping. Sam did a wonderful job and it sounds awesome!
How could someone do that to such an amazing drum and I am glad it was lovingly restored back to it's former glory, post some pics if you can.

How could someone do that to such an amazing drum and I am glad it was lovingly restored back to it's former glory, post some pics if you can.
Here are some pics of the drum and gouges that couldn’t quite get steamed out, but I think he did a great job. I wish I had some ‘before’ pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0873.jpeg
    IMG_0873.jpeg
    562.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0874.jpeg
    IMG_0874.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0875.jpeg
    IMG_0875.jpeg
    402 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0876.jpeg
    IMG_0876.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 7
Here are some pics of the drum and gouges that couldn’t quite get steamed out, but I think he did a great job. I wish I had some ‘before’ pics.
Mate that is very impressive an I am glad to see this drum back in better condition and done in house as well, truly epic.

Back