Replace Phillips throwoff screws with drum key screws?

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
Those could work, but just a warning they are kind of long. I tried using a couple to replace some screws on my Tama Rockstar steel snare and they hit the shell before they fully engaged the clamping force on the butt plate. Fortunately I was able to use them on another snare of mine, but that Tama is still looking for shorter screws.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
This is a good, logical direction - and one that the drum manufacturer's should have been doing as standard for years now. The drum key screws are available in a large variety of diameters and lengths. You should have little problems finding the right ones if you know what diameter the phillips screws are. If you are not sure, take one to your local auto parts store and have them size it for you.

GeedeeEmm

mandrew

Gold Member
Good luck to you a finding a good match. There have been many rants about manufacturers (read Ludwig) who insist on making things difficult for players making quick changes on snares by their refusal to put drum key screws in their throw offs. I know because I have been one of them. The only thing that I can do is refuse to buy a new Ludwig drum as long as they drag their feet on this. Hope you find what you are looking for!

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Good luck to you a finding a good match. There have been many rants about manufacturers (read Ludwig) who insist on making things difficult for players making quick changes on snares by their refusal to put drum key screws in their throw offs. I know because I have been one of them. The only thing that I can do is refuse to buy a new Ludwig drum as long as they drag their feet on this. Hope you find what you are looking for!
Behold!

https://www.facebook.com/ludwig.drum.company/posts/10153693341343529

Shamani

That looks like it should work as long as your but plate is threaded for 4mm screws. i did not see anywhere on the link what the thread pitch is for them, but in my experience most of them are the same pitch. As far as the screw possibly being to long. If you have a hack saw and a file you can cut the screw to whatever length you need. They do have the screw length listed though so it should not be to hard to make sure they will not bottom out on the shell.

lildrumr

If the screw is too long you could also fill up with washers in stead of cutting them shorter.
I think I will order a lot and change on all my snares.