Remo sounds like plastic?

KSEfan

Does anyone else who uses clear Remo heads on their toms notice they sound plasticy? I hear other people complain of this, which I failed to notice before I bought them. I've used my Emperors for a few months and I just dont like them. I tuned to the best of my ability, and I can only get them to sound nice when I use a RemO tone ring on them. Without the ring....the best way I can describe the sound is like...a big bass drum with stock heads and no muffling: boomy and sounds like a wet fart. Tuning up the batter head just turns it into a plastic bucket. Tuning the reso head up just takes away some of the sustain, but it still sounds like a boomy wet fart. I'd really rather not use tone rings if I have to, but it seems like I must keep them with these heads. Does anyone else expirience a plastic sound and/or cheap quality from Remos heads?

daredrummer

Gold Member
What tuning method are you using?
Emperor's are on the most popular heads on the market mate, if they don't sound good, what will? Whether it's the tuning, or the drums, or the room, something's wrong, but not the heads.
Have you tried the Bob Gatzen tuning method? It works miracles!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The Emperor is a head that will pretty much do whatever it is that you need.
It's all just a matter of tuning.

A

audiotech

Evans heads will also sound bad and a bit plastic sounding if they aren't tuned correctly.

Dennis

KSEfan

What tuning method are you using?
Emperor's are on the most popular heads on the market mate, if they don't sound good, what will? Whether it's the tuning, or the drums, or the room, something's wrong, but not the heads.
Have you tried the Bob Gatzen tuning method? It works miracles!
Yes, I've used his method. It came out good on my bass drum, but not the toms. I'll try and break down the tuning I've been trying with the toms a little bit more.

Okay, I start out by pressing in the center to seat the head a few times. When Im satisfied that its seated propperly, I tune each lug in the star pattern to where theres no wrinkles visible in the head. This is when I start playing while tuning. At very low, it sounds like hitting a garbage can. Bringing up the tuning begins to give it more of a tom-like sound. When I reach the point I'm at, it sounds similar to a tom, but its way too boomy. Tuning it up some more turns it from boomy to sounding like I'm hitting a plastic bucket. I brought it back down and tried tuning the resonant head up to reduce some ringing, but all that did was shorten the sustain into a shorter boom sound.

I know I'm a beginner, but I dont suck at tuning THAT bad. I'd even go as far as to say my bass drum and snare sound amazing. But unless I use those tone rings, the toms suck. I just cant find the right spot to tune.

I'm considering just going all Aquarian. My Super Kick 2 with the 4" ported Black Resonator sounds godly, so I have no complaints from them. If I cant find the right spot to tune my Emperors without tone rings then I may just switch to Performance 2 heads.

TheCaptain

What are the specs on your drums? I had a similar problem when starting out. It just takes time to figure out, I've found.

areFish

Silver Member
Mylar is a plastic sheet. It seems you don't like the resonance of an unmuffled, open tom. You probably wouldn't notice any plasticy nuances in a live musical setting. What kit are you playing?

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Its a standard kit, so 12, 13, and 16. Larger toms will have this problem more but its bugging me.
What kind of kit is it and what wood is it made out of?

My gut feeling is like the others it's a tuning issue and you haven't found the correct tuning for the batter and reso. Tuning is an art in and of itself and guys that have played for years can still struggle with it. Take it to a local shop and let them have a go at it.

Also the room you are in how the drums are placed in that room can have a huge effect on how the kit sounds.

One other thing to consider is that the sound you hear behind the drums is totally different from the sound you hear out front. May sound boomy behind the kit but sound really good out front. You need to tune for the person out front not what you hear behind the kit.

Alex Jadi

My Remo clear Emperor sound awesome no matter if I tune it low or high.
And I don't have a high-quality kit (Pearl VX) and I'm definitely not a master at tuning.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I think the bottom heads must be the key. Reso head tuning is not nearly so important for snare and bass drum as it is for toms, but with toms all tone can disappear with the wrong resonant head tuning.

burn-4

maybe you are just using the wrong heads for the sound you want?
what sort of music do you play? maybe try a pinstripe or a coated emperor if the clear is too ringy for you?

burn-4

also the sizes you have are likely to be slightly more boomy than say a 10" tom so maybe that is something to do with it as well?

N

nhzoso

Just a matter of finding the right head. Not fair to say all remo's are cheap because the one you tried is not to your liking. Try coated heads, or the clear Pinstripe's which are very nice heads IMO.

daredrummer

Gold Member
I think the bottom heads must be the key. Reso head tuning is not nearly so important for snare and bass drum as it is for toms, but with toms all tone can disappear with the wrong resonant head tuning.
Yes PQleyR is right. The reso head makes or break the tom sounds.
Make sure that each lug is at the same pitch, on both the batter and the reso. If one is just a little bit higher or lower it can ruin the sound.

KSEfan

What kind of kit is it and what wood is it made out of?

My gut feeling is like the others it's a tuning issue and you haven't found the correct tuning for the batter and reso. Tuning is an art in and of itself and guys that have played for years can still struggle with it. Take it to a local shop and let them have a go at it.

Also the room you are in how the drums are placed in that room can have a huge effect on how the kit sounds.

One other thing to consider is that the sound you hear behind the drums is totally different from the sound you hear out front. May sound boomy behind the kit but sound really good out front. You need to tune for the person out front not what you hear behind the kit.
I have an Imperialstar. Its 7 plies(i believe) of poplar on the toms. It didn't state the exact number of plies so that's my guess. I'm playing in a small/medium sized bedroom. My resonant heads are still stock but I plan on changing them for some Classic Clears. I'm gonna expiriment with the tuning for a while today and ill see what I come up with.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The Imperialstar kits come with heads that aren't the greatest.
You are on the right track by replacing both the batters and the reso heads.

The Imp's are good sounding drums and they tune well.
They have a warm sound.
When your toms are correct you should hear a "cooing" sound. That is how I best describe it. Like a Dove. That is the sound that you get when the bottom head is slightly higher in pitch than the top head and it harmonizes.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I have an Imperialstar ... I'm playing in a small/medium sized bedroom. ..... My resonant heads are still stock .... I plan on changing them for some Classic Clears.
So ... as this drama unfolds ... you don't like the "plasticy" sound of the clear Remo heads you have .... so ... why are you gonna invest more money into clear heads? ... even if they are Aquarian.​
Why not buy a "coated" single ply head and a "coated" double ply head ... and mount those batter .... and see if you like the sound.​
Since your drums are in your bedroom, then you probably are tuning then for the sound "you" hear ... from behind the kit, and not so much worried what the kit sounds like, from the front. You might find you want to try your Emperor heads as reso's. That will further reduce "overtone". You might want to go with a Powerstroke 3 batter, which is an Ambassador head with a built on o-ring. You said that's the sound you were liking best, in your first post. Or, you might want to go to a Powerstroke 4 batter, which is an Emperor head, with a built on o-ring.​
Another pre-muffled, and very popular head for "overtone" elimination is the Pinstripe. Or the Evans Hydraulic. But get away from the "clear" batter, that's probably where most of the "plasticy" sound you hear is coming from.​
Also, with a 12, 13, 16 combo. ... just work with the 13 .... don't re-head all three drums each time until after you come up with your "winning" combo ... once you get the 13 to rock, then it should be easy to get the 12 and the 16 to follow.​