Remo - No Collar Snare Side Head... Memo to self:

MikeM

Platinum Member
Ha ha! That made me laugh! A picture's worth a thousand words. That sucks!

Oddly, I just started using collarless snare side heads on my Ludwig snares as a work around for a design oversight. What got you interested in trying one?

mo2vation

Ha ha! That made me laugh! A picture's worth a thousand words. That sucks!

Oddly, I just started using collarless snare side heads on my Ludwig snares as a work around for a design oversight. What got you interested in trying one?
I'm experimenting with my snare - trying new strainers, new heads, die cast hoops, etc.

I read about collarless here on this forum. Never heard of them before.

I have a 2002 DW Crav. Just took off the bent and warped original snares. Been using an Evans G1 on top (love it) and an Evans Hazy 300 on the bottom. Thought I'd mix it up and try some new stuff.

-K

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Bu-mmer!

Two ways to look at it... You got perfect "sized to fit" rods for the space on your drum, or, you got rods that needed to be longer in the first place (so you can use anything you want, or try out) and that's was their "design flaw".
The major bummer is you have the brass rods, so you're stuck using only collared heads that will fit, or, spend a bunch of extra $$ for longer Brass rods.

The problem with Remo's Ambassador Hazy is that particular film stretches like crazy.
No sure abut Evans "normal" SS, but the Hazy Amb., needs to be changed more often.
I saw a 402 a week or so ago that was so stretched it was crazy! Probably 3/4 of an inch!

The Remo No Collar was designed for Marching drums and the film is stronger, but sounds still sounds great. That head when cranked usually stays around 1/4-3/8" on my snares.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
The Ludwig and Aquarian snare sides have enough of a collar it should work.

My Tama snare also needs a low/no collar snare side but the Remo marching snare side works with just a little pressure to get the tension rods to engage the lugs.