Remo Black Max VS Black Max Weatherking?

duke2go

Hello everyone,
So I recently bought a Remo Black Max 14 in. drum head for my marching snare. When I looked at it online, it had a picture with the "Weatherking" logo on the drum head. However, when I received my drum head, it only says "Black Max" without the Weatherking title.

Is the "Weatherking" a special edition of the Black Max Remo head? If it is, can anyone link me to it?

Thanks! :)

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Same head. Remo dropped the "Weatherking" from their drum heads only recently. I have a sneaking suspicion this was so they could increase the size of the "Remo" font.

duke2go

Same head. Remo dropped the "Weatherking" from their drum heads only recently. I have a sneaking suspicion this was so they could increase the size of the "Remo" font.
Weird, on their website here, it mentions something I assume about the "Weatherking" variant? "Featuring the same feel and articulation as the standard Black Max®, but with a quicker decay."

http://remo.com/portal/products/3/9/83/302/sb_black_max.html

I was under the impression that the Weatherking edition is different, but I guess not.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Having all sorts of problems accessing the Remo site at the moment.

If they are now using the "Weatherking" moniker to denote an entirely different head then it's news to me. Until very recently, it was as simple as dropping the word altogether and increasing the logo size, but all other specs being exactly the same.......as mentioned in this thread: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119053

If that's now changed then it's a very recent change indeed. I can't definitively say until I gain access to their site, which is proving difficult. I'll come back with some thoughts after I've had a look.

duke2go

Ok, sounds good. I'll be heading off for tonight, so I can check this thread again tomorrow. Thanks.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I was under the impression that the Weatherking edition is different, but I guess not.
I'm not getting that impression from the link mate.

If I'm reading it correctly, the "Mylar underlay" seems to be an addition to the old Black Max, but all in all, I'm still confident enough to say that all Remo have done is drop the word "Weatherking" from their logo. All other head specs remain the same.

That's been my understanding since the changes were made last year and I see nothing on their site that would make me think any different. I'm confident enough to say that a Remo Black Max and a Remo Weatherking Black Max are exactly the same thing.......just the latter was manufactured prior to the logo change sometime in 2014.