Rehabilitating a broken leg

HeiligeDamon

Hey everybody, greetings from Argentina.

This is my first thread here after some lurking. So here it goes...

A month ago I broke my leg, more specifically my fibula, luckily there was no displacement so no surgery required, but I had to wear a rigid boot for a month in order to keep my ankle still and help the fracture to heal.
As expected I have no strength in my left leg and I would like to know if any of you had a similar experience and how you went through it and what excersices did you do in order to restore strength and coordination.

Cheers!

keepitgreen

I broke my left leg (both tibia and fibula) playing football about 10 years ago. It was one of the most gruesome sights I've witnessed, and it was on my own body! My foot was completely rotated the wrong direction, and there was serious ligament and tendon damage... Anyway, after a couple of surgeries and 4 months in casts, boots, and extensive physio, I was back in relatively good shape (aside from the 20lbs I put on sitting around the house playing video games and eating pizza!)...

What I did find was that THE BEST strengthening exercise was laying a towel on the floor, placing your heal at one end, and using your toes to "scrunch" the towel, slowly pulling it towards you. When this becomes easy, start putting weights (I used big textbooks) at the other end. Trust me, it's WAY harder than you think. After a few weeks of this, your ankle will rehab like a champ!

The other one that I really enjoyed was using a tennis ball. Same as above, just sit in a chair and put a tennis ball under your foot. Slowly start "rolling" your foot over the tennis ball, back and forth, side to side, all different angles, in circles, whatever, keeping the tennis ball under your foot at all times...

As with any physio, if it hurts, stop. Don't push it. It's a gradual process, not a sprint.

Ian Ballard

Silver Member
In 2005, I had a severe pilon break to my lower leg that caused a complete destruction of my left ankle system. The doctor literally had to set my bones and foot in as-close-as-possible a way that my foot would still function. I had a very extensive external fixator on that essentially allowed the bones to grow together and the hope was that I'd be able to walk and use it normally again... it was so bad, the surgeon said HE would have opted to amputate and have a replacement. Not me. I refused to have a prosthetic. I've lost a great deal of movement and dexterity BUT over the years, I've been able to regain a great deal of my drumming movement and ability. As soon as I was able, I began tapping my foot to music and emulating hi-hat movements to get strength and dexterity back in my ankle. It was very difficult and I lost students and a gig with a signed and ready-for-touring band. However, it was not long after that I began playing again and I'm about 90% where I was prior to the injury with everything BUT double-bass stuff. I no longer play "metal" where fast double-bass work is required but it did force me to be creative and use the double-pedal in ways I didn't think to use it before... call it a blessing in disguise?

Well, my bad luck was not over... last December, I slipped and fell in my house and broke my left patella, rendering me unable to walk for several weeks and the surgery caused massive nerve damage and persistent pain in my knee when bent. Again, I slowly but surely worked to regain strength and dexterity in my leg to be able to drum to a level of personal satisfaction. I'm just damn lucky it was my left leg and not my right in either case. I'm very proud of my bass drum technique and I've worked very hard to achieve a heel-up technique that allows the beater to come off of the head and get a good tone and centered time feel.

Basically in my case, I just jumped back on the horse and didn't give up. Don't do anything that causes pain. When pain happens, stop. Re-assess your technique and make sure your posture and seat height is optimal to getting your technique back in order.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Hey everybody, greetings from Argentina.

This is my first thread here after some lurking. So here it goes...

A month ago I broke my leg, more specifically my fibula, luckily there was no displacement so no surgery required, but I had to wear a rigid boot for a month in order to keep my ankle still and help the fracture to heal.
As expected I have no strength in my left leg and I would like to know if any of you had a similar experience and how you went through it and what excersices did you do in order to restore strength and coordination.

Cheers!
That muscle atrophy is normal after they are immobileized for a period of time.

No disrespect to anyone,but you should be seeking the help of a professional physical therapist,to assist in your recovery.

The sooner the better.Each incident of a broken bone,muscle or say tendon damage', is different in every individual.

Seek professional help,not well intentioned opinions and stories on a drum forum.

Welcome to the forum ....

Steve B

HeiligeDamon

That muscle atrophy is normal after they are immobileized for a period of time.

No disrespect to anyone,but you should be seeking the help of a professional physical therapist,to assist in your recovery.

The sooner the better.Each incident of a broken bone,muscle or say tendon damage', is different in every individual.

Seek professional help,not well intentioned opinions and stories on a drum forum.

Welcome to the forum ....

Steve B
Please don't get me wrong... in no way I am replacing the treatment, just wanted to see if anyone had this experience and how they overcome it. I know this is not group therapy but every tip or insight is useful.

Thanks to Ian Ballard (keep up that attitude!) and keepitgreen (I broke my fibula playing soccer!) for your comments!