recording question , (tricky one...)

Overg

I have the following "ingredients" :

1) TD3 module, connected to triggers
2) real cymbals (not electronics)
3) ZOOM H2
4) Ipad with garage band

How can I record the drums in one shot, means, the electronic drums with the acoustic cymbals in one track? ( not to record the drums alone, and than add the cymbal in different track)
I also have Tascam USB sound card ( if that help in any way)

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Sounds like you need a mixing board, or some other way to get both signals into the single input of either the zoom or iPad. You can buy smaller 4-track mixing boards with USB outputs for pretty cheap nowadays. Or, even get an A/D converter, and do the mixing of the channels within Garageband. Either way, you've got the output from the brain, which is at least one channel (but stereo out is better, so 2 channels), and you need to get the cymbals miked, which is at least one more channel (but I'd use 2 overheads, if you can, and pan 'em in two separate channels for a stereo sound...it will make your drums sound more "real", even if you send the rest of the kit out a mono channel from the brain...).

The other option is to record the cymbals "live" with your zoom, and record the drums with your iPad, and then fly in the live cymbal track into your session, and scoot it until it lines up with your drum track.

...or, if you have an amp for your drums, you can record everything together live, but I wouldn't recommend doing that. You want some control over the levels of the different sounds.

Good luck!

Overg

Can I somehow use the Tascam Sound card (USB) to connect everything to it, and from it to Ipad?

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
you have a few options to consider.

I personally would use garage band since you can record multiple tracks.

this means you will need an interface, firewire or USB, if USB is your choice make sure it is USB 2,0, anything else will limit you to 2 mono or 1 stereo track at a time.

firewire does not have this limitation, i get 24 tracks at a time with the firewire card in my DM-24

with thenTD-3 you have two basic choices, record audio or midi.

If you choose audio you will need 2 cable to go from outputs to 2 inputs on your interface

you can also record MIDI from the TD-3, this has some advantages over audio in your case because you can edit the individual drums later in midi, like getting individual tracks.

you will also need a mic or two for your live cymbals. you will also be recording the sound of the stocks hitting the roland pads but between the drum sounds a editing you can remove and / or cover that up.

I am not familiar with the tascam card, what is the model number.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
How many channels do you have available to you? Perhaps if you got a midi to USB cable you could record the cymbals with the H2 and midi to the iPad, then play the midi back through the sound module and record the audio output afterwards, which would mean you could do one or two tracks at a time. That would certainly work.

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
actually, while this may not be optimal, you can get a USB mic and use it for the cymbals
thn m, I assume theremis a mic in on the sound card of the computer, you can use that to plug in the audio from the TD-3, then you can track everything at the same time.

again, MIDI is an oprion as well instaed of are in addtion to audio

PQleyR

Platinum Member
If you're going to buy something extra, just get an audio interface with more channels and do it that way. That would be the simplest option, cost not being an object.

drumr_102

If you're gonna record often then I would buy an interface. One of the best purchases yet... It's a nice thing to have around. We've recorded electric and acoustic drums, whole songs, and simple acoustic guitar/vocal tracks.
I don't know anything about using it on an ipad though or if those even have a USB port

Soupy

Silver Member
You can use the H2 to record the cymbals, the sound card to the line out on the TD3, record with suitable software (GarageBand? Reaper? Audacity?), and then mix the two sound tracks together in software.

zakhopper316

Silver Member
It's going to be pretty difficult to record the cymbals because the pads are going to make a rubber sound...if you have mesh heads it would be pretty quiet but rubber pads will def. get picked up in the overhead cymbal mics. Do u have enough pads for electronic cymbals or are u set on using real cymbals?

Soupy

Silver Member
Have to disagree with you there, zakhopper. I've recorded real cymbals with my DTXPress IV without issue. Cymbals are loud, rubber pads are not. For what I did, it was a non-issue.

Overg

You can use the H2 to record the cymbals, the sound card to the line out on the TD3, record with suitable software (GarageBand? Reaper? Audacity?), and then mix the two sound tracks together in software.
That mean that I need to connect it to computer, but I want to connect it to Ipad.