Recording, Possibly Signed

Funnyman

One of my friends has something set up within this following week, he wants me to record with him in a studio because he may get signed (people from a record company are going to be there), and wants me to be his drummer. Problem is, I'm nervous and when that happens I put on my worst performance, I know a lot of styles of playing, and everything. Anyone have advice for big things like this?

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Do your thing, the same way you always do it. Forget who may or may not be in the room. Just get in there and play the way you know how. If nerves are getting the better of you then just lock down a solid groove and keep it tight.....keep any flash or OTT frills to when you are on stage.

08mike11

"Simplicity is not Stupidity" - Steve Jordan the groove master.

Keep it simple on the tracks and play with confidence. if you're playing simple stuff, playing it with confidence and feel can take "boom chick boom chick" to a whole 'nother level (see heart break warfare for an example).

Have you heard any of these songs you'll be recording before? Have you guys rehearsed before going into the studio? Hopefully you answer yes to these seeing as potential investors will be at the studio.

If you have access to a rough demo of the tracks, do what the previous posters mentioned, learn the parts, do what you know that way you can do it in your sleep.

How are you on the click? how is your meter? It doesn't matter how flashy your parts are, but how good the timing feels.

Have you been into the studio before? If it's your first time, then you better be warmed up :)

I don't know how close of a relationship you and this friend have, but because he asked you to play for him, I would let him do most of the talking. I'm not trying to sound like a prick, but if something goes wrong, leave him no room to blame you. Again, I'm not saying you will screw it up, nor am I trying to be a prick, it's just my experience that less talk and more business is better when dealing with record people. If they ask you questions and talk to you, by all means answer them and be personable, but don't go showing them videos on youtube that you think are hilarious and waste their time. Be polite and well mannered, but also don't come off as a door mat either.

I don't say any of this out of inexperience though. All of these things I've said not to do, are things I have done and although it might have been cool or funny at the time, looking back I felt I could have done things different.

Hope all this helps, it's just a few tidbits I've learned...

yesdog

Silver Member
Recording is blown way out of proportion. When recording you are playing the same thing you played before. Just be mindful of what you are playing. Keep things clean and in time, keep your fills to a minimum and play what feels right. If someone involed in the project ask you to play something a certain way, keep your mouth shut and play it that way, even if you disagree. One more tip, when sound checking your drums do what the sound engineer ask you to do. DO NOT DO A CHOP FEST/ LOOK WHAT I CAN THING when asked to play the full set. That really pisses sound engineers off. He is trying to get correct levels. so help him out. Relax and enjoy your headphone mix and lay it down. Good luck and congrats to your friend who just got a great big loan. Being signed these days means your music that sells goes towards paying back the record company first for all that studio and production time before you start seeing any profit.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
One of my friends has something set up within this following week, he wants me to record with him in a studio because he may get signed (people from a record company are going to be there), and wants me to be his drummer. Problem is, I'm nervous and when that happens I put on my worst performance, I know a lot of styles of playing, and everything. Anyone have advice for big things like this?
Good one, Funnyman. Break a leg!

Agree with the advice, and always remember it's music and to make your ears happy. As Moonie said, in the end it's just one more thing to play and enjoy.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Thanks for the advice, I don't know thought I'm still nervous just thinking about it.

Honestly in life people get way to caught up in "people of importance" like CEO's, record label guys, "famous people". Are they important people, to a degree yes but they are no different than you or me. They have bills, put their pants on one leg at a time, have struggles and issues they deal with. No different than anyone else. Heck if you play out there's a possiblity you've already played for some "important" people. So maybe thinking about it that way will help.

moontheloon

Silver Member
Honestly in life people get way to caught up in "people of importance" like CEO's, record label guys, "famous people". Are they important people, to a degree yes but they are no different than you or me. They have bills, put their pants on one leg at a time, have struggles and issues they deal with. No different than anyone else. Heck if you play out there's a possiblity you've already played for some "important" people. So maybe thinking about it that way will help.
awesome ^