Recording is a bust.

Hey, mm wanted to talk about how I can't get a great sound of my drums because of the mixer we're using and how we don't have legit equipment or access to a studio to make it sound crisp and clean. Then again everyone who plays drums would define great sound differently.

I'm running mics --> P.A. Mixer --> Macbook Pro running Logic 9. I can get a decent sound but it's frustrating to have a single set reverb over every drum. I know it's ghetto but since it's all I have access to I need some tips on how to get the best basic sound as possible without having to edit much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Jairo

moqtev

You dont have to put a reverb on every single drum.

Set a reverb up on an aux-channel

Use a send from every drumchannel to send to the reverb. This way you only need one reverb for all your drums. This the basic way to do it.

I can recommend to get hold of Recording Engineers Handbook (amazon). You'll find a lot of this there :)

Good luck!!

Morten

Thanks for the information.
Mm as for snare mic, is it best to have the mic on top of the snare, on the edge of the snare, or have a distance away from the snare... like maybe a few inches backed up? And of course with the mic stand..
If you or anybody would know the best way for that.

Aand one more, bassdrum mic, the deeper the... what...get more of a poppy sound?? Or for example my bass drum has a pillow in there, would it be better to take it off for recording? Many questions.. Just curious because when it comes to recording the drums.. it's just incomprehensible.

Thanks again...

moqtev

One mic - could be shure sm57 on top of the snare pointing towards the middle of the head. You could also point it more towards the edge of the head, that will give you more overtones.
Try both or someplace in between to find your sound :)

Sometimes you can put an additional mic underneath the snare to pick up the high frequencies from the snarewires. But beware of phasecancellation!!!!!

See this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jtYkdh_NLw

About bass drum - the rule of thumb could be. If it sounds good to your ears it will propably sound good to a mic. So start there - record and listen :)...so if it sounds good to you with a pillow. Thats it :)

And yes it can take some time to find the right setup, because it depends on the drummer, the kit and the room.

Overhead mics are the most important thing. Spend your money on those mics an make sure membranes are in 90 degree angle to get the best stereo perspective. also beware of phasecancellation between overheads and close mics. Between al mics actually this is the most common beginners mistake!!!!
The two overhead mics should be the same type.

Good luck

Morten

Haha, we did have a SHURE mic before but who knows what happen to it. Anyway, very useful information. And that phase cancellation is tricky, but turned out to be good. But covering up the room with blankets up on the wall and trying to surround the drums(including the bass drum) up so that it has a solid sound, what can be the advantages and disadvantages for doing so?

I recorded the drums and it sounded pretty good like the toms, bass drum, and even the cymbals. But i still need a new head for my snare...but should i get a new head for the Spaun Acrylic Snare Clear Sand Blasted snare i have ooooor for the other one i have which is a Pearl Sensitone Elite Beaded Aluminum Snare? Or if not, which one will sound better in recording? Your opinions...

Oh and i'm using a Sennheiser mic for the snare.

Finally, forums are cool...
THanks.

-Jairo