Recording Drums With One Mic

HUdrummer

Ok, I am in a situation where I need to start making a few demos with my band. I dont need, nor have the money for a full set of mics, and a mixer... All I am using is my rockband usb mic (lol) and audacity. It works Ok, but im wondering if there is a way to make it better. I currently am placing the mic directly in front of the bass. It picks up the bass and cymbals just how I want them, but the snare is a little quite, and the toms are terrible. The toms sound like they have no resonance. Is there anyway to make this work better? Like position of the mic, tuning, ext...

Devils Haircut

Go to youtube and look up the "recorderman" drum micing technique. Musiciansfriend sells CAD condensor mics buy one get one free for about $50 bucks.

Devils Haircut

Oh, don't worry, I'm broke too by the way. You gotta look for used or clearance deals. Also the "stupid deal of the day" on musiciansfriend can be a big help. A week ago they had boom mic stands for $13 each. I bought two. Today they have a mixer for $79. Got that too. Now all I need is that $50 pair of condensors and I have a budget recorderman setup.

Finally, stop playing your drums at 2:30 in the morning man, lol.

HUdrummer

Ya thanks man, but I really don't even have $50 to spend on mics. I may have $10 lol but thats it. Anyway these demo arent needing to be profesional sounding (We go to the studio for that), we are just making them to just kinda have something to go by, and listen to what we have without playing the instruments to find stuff to change ext... nothing to important.

Devils Haircut

Ya thanks man, but I really don't even have $50 to spend on mics. I may have $10 lol but thats it. Anyway these demo arent needing to be profesional sounding (We go to the studio for that), we are just making them to just kinda have something to go by, and listen to what we have without playing the instruments to find stuff to change ext... nothing to important.
Well for that purpose, I'd get a zoom h1 or the tascam equivalent. It will cost you around $100 (you'll need to save or sell some things), but you can record the whole band at once and record concerts too. It's just a digital hand held recorder with two built in condensor mics. Sounds great, easy to use, and fits your needs pretty well. I guarantee it will sound better than your rockband mic. Good luck.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

If you want to do it well, save up the money and buy something decent. The easiest way to record drums with one mic is to buy a Rode NT4 (a stereo mic) and be done with it. You won't get anything worthwhile without any kind of budget.

HUdrummer

Like I said before, at the level my band is at right now (We havent even giged yet) we are just needing something to go by. We're not needing it to be top quality (We can get a studio for that) It's not gunna be something very many people will listen too (for now at least). I was just wondering if there are any techniques to pic up the sound better with what I got?

Stroman

Platinum Member
You might try miking from behind the kit? You may lose a bit of the bass drum, but def will pick up more snare. Or, move the the mic further away from the kit so you are capturing tthe whole sound more realistically.

If, as you say, the quality doesn't matter enough to warrant a new purchase, why sweat it? It's not really going to to sound the way you'd like anyway - you just need to hear what you are playing.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Make sure to give the mic a "line of sight" with whatever you're recording. If the mic is directly in front of the bass drum, and the mic can't "see" the snare, it's only going to pick up the room reflections of the snare. With just one mic, I would start out placing it about waist-level, directly in front of the bass drum, about 6 feet away...then adjust as needed.