Recording drums with computer in a different room?

exodus82

I'd like to record my drums. Here's the problem:

My computer (2010 iMac) is in my living room, while my drums are in a bedroom down the hall, 28-30 feet away. I assume this is a common problem. I've been told that trying to run USB that far will just not work. Is it possible to find a very long Firewire cable? Are there other options?

I haven't bought or set up any recording equipment.

Not sure what my best option is here. The drums and my iMac have to stay where they are. I would like to avoid buying a laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Buy longer XLR cables or a snake. You'll have to do a lot of running back and forth, but that's the price you pay for being unwilling to move one or the other.

Brundlefly

I'd like to record my drums. Here's the problem:

My computer (2010 iMac) is in my living room, while my drums are in a bedroom down the hall, 28-30 feet away. I assume this is a common problem. I've been told that trying to run USB that far will just not work. Is it possible to find a very long Firewire cable? Are there other options?

I haven't bought or set up any recording equipment.

Not sure what my best option is here. The drums and my iMac have to stay where they are. I would like to avoid buying a laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can extend your firewire cable length, but not by buying a long firewire cable. Instead, you need to use a repeater and shorter cables. And you don't have to run back n' forth if you have an iPhone or iPad using remote control app. I use AC-7 Pro for Logic.

Having the computer in another room is better than not. You're eliminating a potential noise source and you don't have the sonic interference from the drum room when monitoring you tracks later.

umairaraza100

well its a good experiment i have not use it but now i am thinking to use it because i am much fond of watching live sports on my Favorite tv channels like ten sports but the cost is looking so high so could you tell me where from i can buy them in low cost ?

TNA

Sounds like you pretty much already know your options. Just move your computer, it's not that difficult to move it and move it back.