Recommended books - where to start (after some hiatus)?

toddbishop

Platinum Member
It's easy to be overwhelmed by all the stuff to work on, but don't be-- take it one thing at a time, and try to figure out the next logical thing to work on based on where you are now. Don't be afraid of ultra bonehead-seeming fundamentals. And try to get some playing in with people-- that's at least as important as getting a teacher, or anything else you can do. Good luck--

Thanks todd!! I guess you're a drummer, not a mind-reader, and that's how you came up with that, lol. Yeah, I'm working on getting a teacher, but it would be very nice to have some relatively easy-to-understand books that are more in the vein of playing 'music', than just drilling with the hands and whatnot, so I am interested in checking out your suggestions!

Thanks for your advice on the other recommendations too.

On a side note, I read a thread yesterday about ghost-notes, and went home and recorded myself and some of my ghost notes...turns out the aren't very ghostly at all! So, another thing I'm trying to focus on is my dynamics. Things are easier once you have an idea of what your shortcomings are! Just hope that they all don't jump out at me at once. I am trying really really hard to take this slow and steady and not get overwhelmed, and you have all been very helpful. Even in threads that I was never involved in. Cool place.
I forgot to mention that my teacher and I are also using parts of Frank Briggs book as well. I don't have any videos up of myself playing
1. I don't have anything to record with (my phone video takes awful video and sound bites)
2. I would have to use my teachers rig and honestly would rather pay for my lesson to learn something then pay him to record me.....
3. I have been wanting to put up some videos and plan too once I get the necessary equipment to do it.

I won't leave you dry though I will see if I can find some audio with myself playing around and screwing around the set and see what you think of it. I just need to find the files first lol. My only advice is to not put too much pressure on yourself and take baby steps when trying to learn new books etc.

C

Casper "DrPowerStroke" Paludan

"There is no wrong thing to practice"
Antonio Sanchez, when asked what he recommend a particular student work on.
Casper

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Jojo's DVD is just a technique encyclopedia. You need a routine to practice and use the techniques.

Stick control is nice to have and can be used as part of a technique routine.

Get an etude book like "The All American Drummer" or something like that and get a rudimental routine like e.g. Igoe's Lifetime Warm-up going.

In addition to this, my own routine is based a lot on what is outlined in the beginning of the Unreel Drum Book. Just apply this to all subdivisions and stickings and you got everything covered. A bit extreme but I don't mind. I first did this on the pad, then I started applying it to the kit and now I'm adding it to double bass drums. It's a great workout and makes you feel free to express yourself any way you like.

Groove Essentials is just an introduction with play-a-longs for variations of "essential" grooves.

What's right for you depens on a lot of things. I you have a steady routine there are many classics Chaffee's Patterns series, Chester's New Breed and also more recently Benny Greb's Language of Drumming.

New Breed is the simple step by step solution that will truly do amazing things for your control, feel, concentration and stamina if you practice it properly. It's really good. If you want some more in addition to the G.E. stuff then Pat Petrillo's Hands, Grooves and Fills is great and really forces you to get into the music.

Other sort of simple no brainer books would be all of Ron Spagnardi's stuff.

Books are just information. How your routine looks depends on your level, your commitment and how much time you have available to practice. If you wonder about how to practice and use things, definetly get some lessons.

I haven't playued that long myself and I have limited access to good teachers, but every time I travel to where a teacher is available I always get some lessons. They are not regular, but I get feedback on quality and my progress and they open my eyes to how things are connected and how to improve my routine and concept.

Remember to keep a log of your routine, progress and anything cool you come up with yourself. It's so easy to loose track and momentum if you don't.

Don't forget to transcribe and play along to records.

I would have, if you would've gotten to me one day earlier! I just returned an email from a teacher from www.musiclessonsonskype.com, so I am going to see how that pans out, but THANKS for offering. I might come back and accept that offer soon, depending on what happens.

Thanks for the encouragement too. It sounds like you've been working hard and steady, and it has been paying off!

Bo recommended The New Breed too, as well as Syncopation. I guess I will see what my teacher recommends before buying another book. Just out of curiosity, do you have any vid's up? Just curious to see where your practice has taken you...

Good stuff!
Hi found some old audio when I was temporarily with a punk band its not the most technical music but it was when I started taking lessons again. Listening back to these old recordings I can tell you that I have grown even more since (not to be an egoist or anything). I'm gonna be doing some Metallica covers at rehearsals this weekend I will see if I can get some videos up over the next week or two.

Anyways, www.myspace.com/one47am not the best recordings ever but the hell with it why not share right?! ;p

Last edited:

StickIt

not the best recordings ever but the hell with it why not share right?! ;p
haha...That's exactly what I thought when I put my videos up!!

Interesting style. You said something about punk, and then I hit the link, and the style was described to be rock/classic rock, and then I hit play, and it was neither, lol. I was reminded of some noise-rock bands that I used to jam quite a bit...I like that stuff.

I thought you definitely held your own, and played good rhythms throughout the tunes...and I'm interested in hearing your Metallica stuff too. Thanks for sharing, man.

haha...That's exactly what I thought when I put my videos up!!

Interesting style. You said something about punk, and then I hit the link, and the style was described to be rock/classic rock, and then I hit play, and it was neither, lol. I was reminded of some noise-rock bands that I used to jam quite a bit...I like that stuff.

I thought you definitely held your own, and played good rhythms throughout the tunes...and I'm interested in hearing your Metallica stuff too. Thanks for sharing, man.
Thanks man! Yeah its kind of hard to "pinpoint" a style but its rock at the end lol. The Metallica stuff will be coming in the next few weeks. My band mates and I had to cancel the rehearsal this past weekend. I will let you know when the videos will be coming up, I will just post them up on my youtube channel.