Recommendations and ideas for snare drums

Jorge89

- I have an Orange County 7x13 Red Sparkle snare (8 lug die-cast hoops) I bought at guitar center for $99.99 bucks during Drum-off simply because it was 50% off. They currently sell at $199.99 & I never use it & it came with a tama case I got for free for buying it as well.

- I also have an old 3x13 Steel Pearl Piccolo snare (8 lug tiple flanged hoops)I bought 5-6+ yrs ago. I think I bought it for 99.99, neither do I use it. comes in a kace

- The snare I use on my kit at all times is a Steve Jordan Yamaha 6.5x13 (8 lug triple flanged hoops) I believe I purchased it when it first came out for $449.99, now its at $499.99 & it sounds incredible depending on the acoustics of the room like all snares.

What I was going to ask you guys is that I was at guitar center and saw a Tama 6x14 Starclassic performer b/b snare drum (10 lug die-cast hoops) selling at $299.99.
Should I go ahead sell all my snares, invest in this snare which looked incredible it had what I would describe as a dark brownish mahogany stain to it. Not to mention snares with more lugs and die cast hoops for my taste have always sounded better and keep the extra crash??

Let me know guys, thanks!

alparrott

Platinum Member
- I have an Orange County 7x13 Red Sparkle snare (8 lug die-cast hoops) I bought at guitar center for $99.99 bucks during Drum-off simply because it was 50% off. They currently sell at $199.99 & I never use it & it came with a tama case I got for free for buying it as well.

- I also have an old 3x13 Steel Pearl Piccolo snare (8 lug tiple flanged hoops)I bought 5-6+ yrs ago. I think I bought it for 99.99, neither do I use it. comes in a kace

- The snare I use on my kit at all times is a Steve Jordan Yamaha 6.5x13 (8 lug triple flanged hoops) I believe I purchased it when it first came out for $449.99, now its at $499.99 & it sounds incredible depending on the acoustics of the room like all snares.

What I was going to ask you guys is that I was at guitar center and saw a Tama 6x14 Starclassic performer b/b snare drum (10 lug die-cast hoops) selling at $299.99.
Should I go ahead sell all my snares, invest in this snare which looked incredible it had what I would describe as a dark brownish mahogany stain to it. Not to mention snares with more lugs and die cast hoops for my taste have always sounded better and keep the extra crash??

Let me know guys, thanks!
OK, the reason you have these other two snares is because you saw them on sale for a steal and you never play them. You have a third snare which I myself would love to have and it works great in almost all conditions. Now you see another snare which you appear ready to buy solely on looks (you don't mention having played it at all)?

I would sell the two snares you don't play, keep the Jordan snare, and think very carefully about needing to buy another snare. If diecast hoops are such a big thing for you, I'm sure that you could buy a set with the money you get from selling the other two.

Jorge89

OK, the reason you have these other two snares is because you saw them on sale for a steal and you never play them. You have a third snare which I myself would love to have and it works great in almost all conditions. Now you see another snare which you appear ready to buy solely on looks (you don't mention having played it at all)?

I would sell the two snares you don't play, keep the Jordan snare, and think very carefully about needing to buy another snare. If diecast hoops are such a big thing for you, I'm sure that you could buy a set with the money you get from selling the other two.
I played the piccolo for 5-6 yrs but no longer use it after buying the Steve Jordan. I was in 2 bands as well, which im no longer in. One being hardcore/metal and the other one was hardcore/punk so I varied the Steve Jordan one, which im thinking of buying die cast hoops for it, and the Orange County one (I used it several times). Aside from playing rock I enjoy playing fusion, r&b, pop, electronica/indie pop. etc the most. Steve jordan DOES fit with any style that's I why I enjoy it. I grabbed the Tama and gave it a few hits, I really liked the tone & how the die cast hoops kept the snare from giving me that unbearable ring since I play with alot of rimshot and ghost notes. not to mention I also have a left over 19" Z Custom Medium Crash to sell as well. Just trying to see my viable options.

ecpietscheck

-Not to mention snares with more lugs and die cast hoops for my taste have always sounded better and keep the extra crash??
Just to make things clearer to you, THE MORE LUGS A SNARE HAS DOES NOT MAKE IT SOUND BETTER. but yes, the tuning range is wider

Jorge89

Just to make things clearer to you, THE MORE LUGS A SNARE HAS DOES NOT MAKE IT SOUND BETTER. but yes, the tuning range is wider
I know this...My steve jordan is way better than my orange county snare BUT I will admit the die cast hoops on the orange county snare gives the snare a fuller less ringy sound to it.

Jorge89

Ive been thinking the same thing (swapping the hoops) but if i plan on selling OC snare I dont know If Ill get the same for the snare... & mind you the color on the red sparkle snare is a black chrome and the triple flanged hoops o the steve jordan is the regular one.

anzi

but you still should try the hoops on both drums. oc might sound better with flanged hoops, and if you have even thought about cast hoops on jordan. why not try it...