Recommend a batter head for my pork pie squealer?

tj64648

Can anyone recommend a good batter head for my pork pie little squealer 13 x 7?

I ended up going with a remo emporer-x. While its a nice skin it doesn't really work well with ghost notes since it's 2 ply. Maybe once I break it in more it'll get better, but this snare drum has a dry sound so you really need to be good at ghost notes to get them to sound good. In my opinion this is a good thing since it makes me a better drummer since it's easier to sound good with ghost notes on a snare where the sound is more meshed together.

Thanks!

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Firstly, you might try tightening the snare side head significantly if you're looking for more sensitivity on ghosts...

Second, I really like the aquarian "studio x" heads on my snare lately. Most of my snares are metal and I love these new-ish heads.

tj64648

Firstly, you might try tightening the snare side head significantly if you're looking for more sensitivity on ghosts...

Second, I really like the aquarian "studio x" heads on my snare lately. Most of my snares are metal and I love these new-ish heads.
I ended up getting this snare used off ebay and it was missing one tension rod. I found out another tension rod on the bottom was bent to where I don't want to tighten it. So I'll hold off on tightening the bottom head for now. Thankfully pork pie is awesome enough to send me two free tensions rods. All I had to do is call them up and the guy I spoke to immediatly took down my info and said he'll send them out.

I'll look into the one you suggested. Thanks.

tard

Gold Member

+1 on the Aquarian studio x heads, I used the coated on all my snares and regular studio x on all my toms.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I'm keeping the stock Pork Pie batter on my new Big Black, which a wonderful copy of a Black Beauty. It replaced my PDP Ace. The head is made by Remo and it is single-ply coated with the little Pork Pie pig on it. The thing is, it's much better than any Ambassador I've ever played. I've probably got about 12 hours of solid drumming on it and not even a scratch on it. Amazing whatever it is.

I play a clear acrylic Pig Lite in the studio, which is also a 13" and that one has an Evans with the reverse white dot. It sounds pretty good, but I like the Big Black much better.

tj64648

I'm keeping the stock Pork Pie batter on my new Big Black, which a wonderful copy of a Black Beauty. It replaced my PDP Ace. The head is made by Remo and it is single-ply coated with the little Pork Pie pig on it. The thing is, it's much better than any Ambassador I've ever played. I've probably got about 12 hours of solid drumming on it and not even a scratch on it. Amazing whatever it is.

I play a clear acrylic Pig Lite in the studio, which is also a 13" and that one has an Evans with the reverse white dot. It sounds pretty good, but I like the Big Black much better.
Unfortunately the stock batter head is torn from the previous owner.

To the other two people who suggested the aqaurian heads. Is this the one you're talking about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarian-Texture-Coated-Studio-X-Drumhead-13-Inches-/290688753298?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ae665e92

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Yeah, I think the StudioX part is that white ring that help to keep it in tune, I think. Otherwise it's just a regular Texture Coated single-ply, which is equivalent to an Ambassador. I put a textured coated on the Ace snare drum. It was a good head too. I guess anything Ambassador-like will do, even an Ambassador. I put an Evans HD Dry on my aluminum Gretsch snare. It has little vent holes around the perimeter. It sounds great too. Lots of people swear by them. Too many choices, huh? I guess you'll have to try them all yourself.

HMNY

Silver Member
"Thankfully pork pie is awesome enough to send me two free tensions rods. All I had to do is call them up and the guy I spoke to immediatly took down my info and said he'll send them out"

Nice touch Pork Pie! Given the well documented issues another DW member has recently experienced with a drum company, it's nice to read this.

tj64648

Yeah, I think the StudioX part is that white ring that help to keep it in tune, I think. Otherwise it's just a regular Texture Coated single-ply, which is equivalent to an Ambassador. I put a textured coated on the Ace snare drum. It was a good head too. I guess anything Ambassador-like will do, even an Ambassador. I put an Evans HD Dry on my aluminum Gretsch snare. It has little vent holes around the perimeter. It sounds great too. Lots of people swear by them. Too many choices, huh? I guess you'll have to try them all yourself.
Wwhy I outta....*shakes fist*

tard

Gold Member
Yep, thats it. Basically the same as a texture coated (which is just a coated classic clear and the equivalent head to a remo coated ambassador) but with a studio x ring which is a small strip of power dot material around the underside of the outside edge which removes some of the high frequency odd harmonic overtones. BTW the coating is almost bullet proof and the head itself will last 2 or 3 times longer than the competition before it starts to go dead. The lower price is just an added bonus.