Reasonable Set Of Practice Cymbals

Witterings

Silver Member
I've just bought one of the Traps flat kits to leave where we pratice, I've got some "reasonable" spare crash cymbals I can leave there as well but need to get a pair of HH's and a ride cymbal.
In the past I've usd Z-Planet and Solar at open mic nights and really wasn't a big fan of either, I'm looking at second hand and was thinking about maybe Zildjian ZBT or ZXT's can anyone comment on what they're like in comparison to the absolute starter packs and or recommend alternatives?
I don't need K's or 2002's as it's just for a practice kit but wouldn't mind that at least sound OK.

dairyairman

Platinum Member
there's a set of beat up ZBTs on the kit in my band's practice space. i don't own them, but their owner from in another band that shares the space lets me use them. they are ok. i usually bring my own cymbals and swap them out, but sometimes i just play the zbt's. they don't sound as good as pro level cymbals but they don't sound terrible either. they're usable.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
I used to have a pair of Paiste 502 hats that were pretty decent. Some sort of nickle alloy like the old Camber cymbals, but they sounded perfectly usable. Very clean chick sound, kind of dry and bright compared to what I'm into now.

I've also heard a few Sabian B8 ride cymbals that were usable. Again, kind of dry and not a lot of overtones, but not trashcan lids either.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Wuhan.

You can order a 20" ride, with 14" hats and a 16" crash for less than a ZBT/B8/whatever, and they sound better.

Not quite as good as pro cymbals, but a heck of a lot closer.

I bought some for my kid, and I'd say, I wouldn't be embarrassed to use them on a gig if I had to.

Migaluch

I used to have a pair of Paiste 502 hats that were pretty decent. Some sort of nickle alloy like the old Camber cymbals, but they sounded perfectly usable. Very clean chick sound, kind of dry and bright compared to what I'm into now.

I've also heard a few Sabian B8 ride cymbals that were usable. Again, kind of dry and not a lot of overtones, but not trashcan lids either.
Yeah i have an 18 inch B8 Crash/Ride cymbals that doesn't exactly hurt the ears. When you play a pro level cymbal beforehand, you never want to play the B8, but its not an abomination.

I think the only place budget level cymbals get hurt is in the Crash lineup. My 15 inch B8 crash sounds nothing like the K Dark Crash i get to use at high school.

Witterings

Silver Member
Thanks for the replies, think I'll see what I can pick up on e-bay and am looking at B8's but also interested to see what the XS20's go for as well, I did try and find Wuhan but they don't seem that available in the UK and there are virtually no second hand ones at all.
Cheers to all !!!

ermghoti

Silver Member
Can you get Dream cymbals out there? I'm not sure about consistency, but you can hand-pick a really nice set for 1/3 of the Big Three's offerings.

Vipercussionist

Silver Member
I've just bought one of the Traps flat kits to leave where we pratice, I've got some "reasonable" spare crash cymbals I can leave there as well but need to get a pair of HH's and a ride cymbal.
In the past I've usd Z-Planet and Solar at open mic nights and really wasn't a big fan of either, I'm looking at second hand and was thinking about maybe Zildjian ZBT or ZXT's can anyone comment on what they're like in comparison to the absolute starter packs and or recommend alternatives?
I don't need K's or 2002's as it's just for a practice kit but wouldn't mind that at least sound OK.
Buy some used or cracked cymbals for ridiculous cheap cash, tone isn't a consideration at a rehearsal, unless you are trying to impress the bass player or something.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Can you get Dream cymbals out there? I'm not sure about consistency, but you can hand-pick a really nice set for 1/3 of the Big Three's offerings.
You can get them on-line. Just remember that on recordings, you won't hear as much wash as you do with the cymbal in front of you.

I have a Dream ride that I got from Virtual Cymbals, worked out just like I expected. Very nice jazz and low volume gig cymbal.

I also have a set of Dream hats that I got at a local consignment shop. Cool slightly trashy sound, but they are thin and much quieter than my regular AA hats. Again, great for quieter gigs or rehearsals.